Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

British Battledress Collectors

Article about: Which are the most sought after BD by collectors - which regiments/divisions? Also whats the best way to display BD? Many thanks Will

piw
    ?

Default British Battledress Collectors

Which are the most sought after BD by collectors - which regiments/divisions?
    Also whats the best way to display BD?

Many thanks

Will

Default re: British Battledress Collectors

Hi Will, as per usual, anything Airborne or Special Forces related will be very popular and expensive if original. Fakes of these abound: often original blouses with either original unissued insignia added in recent years or outright fake insignia added.

Armoured units are also popular as are BD's issued to the different Free foreign armies support and equipped by the British, like the Poles.

It is actually hard to find good untouched BD's today with original insignia in place. All are worth buying.

BD's display well on just a torso form display bust.

Cheers, Ade.

piw
    ?

Default Re: British Battledress Collectors

Thanks Ade thats uesful. Im thinking of moving into this area as its a little bit more affordable compared to german cloth headgear which ive collected in various forms for a few years. I inherited two WW2 BD from a family friend who served as an officer in the Devonshire Regiment in NW Europe/Germany from D day to the end of the war and then went on to serve with South East Asia command. Both have full original insignia that has been untouched.

Hi Will, the BD's sound great! I would love to see them sometime.

My advice to not to go for any too exotic. You always need to check any insignia for matching wear and fading and look for signs of any previous insignia being in place.

Officers BD's do seem to survive in greater numbers than Other Ranks examples, basically as they got to retain their uniforms as they were privatly purchased.

Cheers, Ade.

piw
    ?

I ll try and get some pictures posted soon- both the BD are private purchase (as is the immaculate great coat I have also from the same veteran). The quality of material and construction is good.

True, Ade.

Another factor was that in the late Forties and Fifties, many OR veterans wore their old BDs as work clothes, and wore them to detruction. Officers were typically "white collar" and put their BDs in the back of a wardrobe.

Half the working men in England in the Forties carried their lunch in an old gas mask bag. My dad carried his fishing gear in his.

Happy New Year.

Pat G.