Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

british (?) dress uniform identity

Article about: Can you help me identify exactly what this uniform coat is and represents? A friend found it in a collection in Montana USA of all places! thanks in advance!

?

Default british (?) dress uniform identity

Can you help me identify exactly what this uniform coat is and represents? A friend found it in a collection in Montana USA of all places! thanks in advance!british (?) dress uniform identitybritish (?) dress uniform identitybritish (?) dress uniform identitybritish (?) dress uniform identitybritish (?) dress uniform identitybritish (?) dress uniform identity

I would suggest some style of a Royal Artillery Officer's dress or mess jacket and waist coat. It has a certain Victorian era look about it. These were meant to be worn by officers at dinner events etc. Those shoulder board buttons are certainly British Royal artillery.

Royal artillery mess dress for a major. These don't change much over time and it depends on the form of crown on the buttons as to its date. I can't see that detail clearly enough from the pics. The very elaborate cuff braid does suggest an earlier example and I think the bittons are the queen Victorian type.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Looking again on my laptop rather than my phone, the buttons are the QVC type, therefore pre 1900/01.
    Regards,

Jerry

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Looking again on my laptop rather than my phone, the buttons are the QVC type, therefore pre 1900/01.
    I agree Jerry.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture british (?) dress uniform identity  

Actually it is this type, Queen Victoria Crown, the type you show is for QEII.
    Attached Images Attached Images british (?) dress uniform identity 
    Regards,

Jerry

Thanks Jerry,

I can now see the difference.

Here is a QE button for reference.

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images british (?) dress uniform identity 

And here is the Kings Crown version, 1900 - 1953
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture british (?) dress uniform identity  
    Regards,

Jerry