MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

British Mess Dress - Fusiliers ? (Austrian knot) - Date required.

Article about: Afternoon from England. I was hoping for some information on this Mess Dress. Including a rough date. With regards to the insignia that has been taken from the lapel - Would I be correct in

Default British Mess Dress - Fusiliers ? (Austrian knot) - Date required.

Afternoon from England.

I was hoping for some information on this Mess Dress. Including a rough date.

With regards to the insignia that has been taken from the lapel - Would I be correct in saying it was issued to the Royal Fusiliers? (image 11)
    The Austrian knot to the outer cuff have come away somewhat. The outer material and construction to the lining suggests that it may carry some age (lining made from a cotton blend). Sadly no labels to note. My estimate was 1940s era. Would I be far off?

Warm Regards, Gillan

British Mess Dress - Fusiliers ? (Austrian knot) - Date required.British Mess Dress - Fusiliers ? (Austrian knot) - Date required.British Mess Dress - Fusiliers ? (Austrian knot) - Date required.British Mess Dress - Fusiliers ? (Austrian knot) - Date required.British Mess Dress - Fusiliers ? (Austrian knot) - Date required.British Mess Dress - Fusiliers ? (Austrian knot) - Date required.British Mess Dress - Fusiliers ? (Austrian knot) - Date required.British Mess Dress - Fusiliers ? (Austrian knot) - Date required.British Mess Dress - Fusiliers ? (Austrian knot) - Date required.British Mess Dress - Fusiliers ? (Austrian knot) - Date required.British Mess Dress - Fusiliers ? (Austrian knot) - Date required.British Mess Dress - Fusiliers ? (Austrian knot) - Date required.British Mess Dress - Fusiliers ? (Austrian knot) - Date required.

Insignia might have been RE or as you suggest RF.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Insignia might have been RE or as you suggest RF.
    Cheers Jerry. Any idea of an approx date? I'm having trouble finding similar online. Regards.

I don't think mess dress has been studied but basically as far as I understand them there are two main patterns, this type and the type for cavalry which buttons at the top.

I have two jackets and trousers, both of this pattern, one is pre WWII and the other is post WWII, but I think the basic design dates back to at least pre WWI, possibly earlier without much change.

Try entering mess dress into an ebay search and see what you get to see the range of them and a rough idea of values.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Try entering mess dress into an ebay search and see what you get to see the range of them and a rough idea of values.
    Thanks for the above. I have tried a number of searches via auction sites and the likes, yet no joy at present.

I shall keep on with the search.

- Should anyone have any further details that would be great.

I did find one result that may match the item in question. Suggesting it may be an earlier pattern ?

The seller is advertising as '1970s Honourable Artillery Company Officer Mess Dress Jacket' (HAC) (See attached photos)

Research continues.

British Mess Dress - Fusiliers ? (Austrian knot) - Date required.British Mess Dress - Fusiliers ? (Austrian knot) - Date required.British Mess Dress - Fusiliers ? (Austrian knot) - Date required.British Mess Dress - Fusiliers ? (Austrian knot) - Date required.