Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

British Recconaisance Corps Officers Austerity pattern service dress jacket.

Article about: Hi Guys, here is a service dress tunic from my collection. Even Officers tunics were not spared the economies forced upon the country by several years of total war. By 1942 it was decided th

Default British Recconaisance Corps Officers Austerity pattern service dress jacket.

Hi Guys, here is a service dress tunic from my collection.

Even Officers tunics were not spared the economies forced upon the country by several years of total war. By 1942 it was decided that Officers tunics would be simplified in order to save materials and time. These tunics were still private purchase though. The new Austerity pattern tunics no longer had box pleated breast pockets and the lower pockets were now of the internal type just with a flap instead of the previous patch pocket style. The sleeves were plain, except those for Scottish Regts. This new pattern tunic was introduced under "Army Council Instruction 501, dated March 7th 1942". By early 1945, the situation had improved and under "ACI 340" military tailors were once again allowed to supply tunics of the pre 1942 pattern, but only to newly commisioned Officers or to those who truly needed a new replacement tunic due to their old one being worn out.

This tunic bears the rank insignia of a Captain in the Recce Corps. Note the three pips on each shoulder strap. The collar dogs are conventional Officers bronze pattern. Buttons are Recce Corps pattern. (The small buttons were missing so I had to replace these with a GS pattern from my bits box)

The Recce Corps was a war raised unit with a short lifespan of 1941 to 1946.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Recconaisance Corps Officers Austerity pattern service dress jacket.   British Recconaisance Corps Officers Austerity pattern service dress jacket.  

British Recconaisance Corps Officers Austerity pattern service dress jacket.  

?

Default Re: British Recconaisance Corps Officers Austerity pattern service dress jacket.

Great SD Ade,
    Didn't know about the Austerity pattern tunics!!
    That's why these forums are great, you can learn each day!

Cheers,
    Marc

?

Default Re: British Recconaisance Corps Officers Austerity pattern service dress jacket.

A nice tunic Ade, to follow on with what Ade was saying, here are two O/R's service dress, this is a 42' dated tunic and a 43' dated utility pattern one, with the pleats removed from the top pockets and no buttons added to the bottom pockets. second pic is a bit on the naff side, I'll do a better one for reference.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Recconaisance Corps Officers Austerity pattern service dress jacket.   British Recconaisance Corps Officers Austerity pattern service dress jacket.