Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Buttons and a Ruptured duck

Article about: The Wife and I stopped by an Estate Sale today, she for Cookbooks and me for Tools and Militaria. Not much, the Husband was a WW2 Vet, drafted in 1944 right after High School, was training a

Default Buttons and a Ruptured duck

The Wife and I stopped by an Estate Sale today, she for Cookbooks and me for Tools and Militaria.

Not much, the Husband was a WW2 Vet, drafted in 1944 right after High School, was training as an Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic when he was drafted and then went to Kingman AAF in Arizona for Aerial Gunner training. Served with the 9th AAF in B-24's, was wounded in action and made it home in 1946.

While rummaging around the Basement, I found an old leather folder in a box and inside were his complete service records. Good for his daughters since he had passed the week before and they couldn't prove to the VA that he had served. His last name beguns with M so his records (along with my Fathers records) went up in the Army Records fire back in the 60's and unless you have proof of service, the VA will frequently deny the Death Benefit payment that helps with the funeral expenses and can deny care if you need VA Medical. (Remember this guy was WOUNDED IN ACTION AAF Vet).

I separated all the AAF paperwork (this guy was a real packrat, he even had EVERY report card from Elentary thru HS graduation) and read all the paperwork with his daughter. When I found the Purple Heart and Silver Star Commendation paperwork I read it aloud to her and watched her face as she realized that her Dad had been in the thick of it during late 44 and early 45 over Europe.

I asked if they had his medals and we found then in the bedroom, I held them for a minute or two and gave them to her. She said that she would see if anyone in the family wants them and if not she will call me and I can pick them up from her.

She did give me a set of 10 buttons from his Class A uniform , 4 large and 6 small, that appear to be original and in MINT condition. See photos below.

And in the bottom of the box I found his Ruptured Duck lapel pin. These were worn to show you had served in the military during the war. The "Duck" shows wear on the face since it was probably in the suit lapel for a number of years.

Sorry about the PDF pic posting but the system would not allow me to post the photos in JPEG format.
    Attached Files Attached Files