Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Canadian Battledress, 1944

Article about: Hi folks, Could I please get your opinions on this battledress? It looks like it's in great shape, but I don't think that the insignia is original to the jacket. (This would cross off one of

Default Canadian Battledress, 1944

Hi folks,

Could I please get your opinions on this battledress? It looks like it's in great shape, but I don't think that the insignia is original to the jacket.

(This would cross off one of the six remaining items on my wishlist!)

Thanks,
    Mo
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Canadian Battledress, 1944   Canadian Battledress, 1944  

Canadian Battledress, 1944   Canadian Battledress, 1944  

Canadian Battledress, 1944  

?

Default Re: Canadian Battledress, 1944

Hi Mo, looks like a wartime uniform however not sure that the insignia is period applied. The thread used isnt like any I have seen used and doesnt appear to sink into the uniform. Also for the insignia mix, its a diamond for the 1st Canadian Army with the RCE shoulder flash, at Army level I would expect to see this diamond used (forgive the small pic).

There are plenty of original BD's around, I would pass if this were offered to me. If this is from ebay seller Vespalmbretta you for sure want to pass, his are all put togethers.

Attachment 524037

They are doing the same thing with US tunics you have to look at them closely pictures will not do.
    Mostly with hard to find divisions and units.
    chris

It's from SV Militaria and the price is $185. Thanks for your opinions guys. I will await further input before I make any decisions.

Do any more of my British and Canadian collector friends have anything else they can add?

Seems pricey for a probably put together wartime Canadian BD, insignia application does look odd.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thanks guys!

So should the patches have 'R.C.E.' on them?

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Seems pricey for a probably put together wartime Canadian BD, insignia application does look odd.
    I would agree with this, the application is not correct, and quite pricey!!

Blouse is real, patches are real, shoulder titles are real but may well be (very) post-war. I'd value it on the price of the seperate items if I were you.