Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

D1 Flight Jacket

Article about: Hi, I have had this for a few years now and though in bad condition I really like this Jacket. Can anyone tell me what Bomber group this jacket would have belonged to? and has anyone heard o

Default D1 Flight Jacket

Hi,
    I have had this for a few years now and though in bad condition I really like this Jacket.
    Can anyone tell me what Bomber group this jacket would have belonged to? and has anyone heard of a book called Disney at war?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture D1 Flight Jacket   D1 Flight Jacket  

D1 Flight Jacket   D1 Flight Jacket  

Default Re: D1 Flight Jacket

Easily 8th AAF or 9th AAF, this would have been for a B-17/B-24 crewman. Most likely an Air Gunner Tech Sgt.

'Type D-1 Mechanics Shearling Jacket' worn by ground crew.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

It might not just be 8th or 9th it could be a B24 bomb squadron with the 15th (I know its not a B17 squadron because none of their insignia had wolves) or a B-25 group like the 71st squadron. The 38th Bomb Group 71st Squadron was nicknamed the Wolf Pack. I'm not sure what their wolf looked like I just remember they had a wolf on their logo.

Ok thanks for the gen. I know that these jackets sometimes found their way in to the air and I believe this is from a bg. I think the pic is a bear....maybe. Somebody mentioned that it may be in a book called Disney at war or something but couldn't remember the title. Thanks for the info
    Dale

Hi Dale, I could not think of the book title last night, but it has just come to me!

Disney Dons Dogtags: The Best of Disney Military Insignia from World War II

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks ade, This is why i love this site.....a wealth of knowledge all in one place.
    Dale

It is a sqadron insignia of a 9th airforce unit equiped with B26. I will have to look through my books but I definately know this one.

- - ------- - -

It is a sqadron insignia of a 9th airforce unit equiped with B26. I will have to look through my books but I definately know this one.