Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Double airborne patch jacket???

Article about: Me again, So it might be too late to reconsider...because I already bought it. Not much but if it's not real then... just kidding. So I bought this jacket off of a guy in Florida a couple of

Default Double airborne patch jacket???

Me again,
    So it might be too late to reconsider...because I already bought it. Not much but if it's not real then... just kidding.
    So I bought this jacket off of a guy in Florida a couple of weeks ago and haven't bothered since. But now I'm researching...so it has 2 Aurborne patches the 82nd division and the 17th airborne...I don't get it why 2 different divisions exchange maybe??? And are they even real? Is the shirt even from WW2 or later. I was hoping someone could help me with my misery
    Thx in advance
    Ps. I'm aware that the badge pins are not period...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Double airborne patch jacket???   Double airborne patch jacket???  

Double airborne patch jacket???   Double airborne patch jacket???  

Double airborne patch jacket???  

I'm sorry about the pictures being sideways...

?

The combination of the 82nd and 17th is possible, could you get a picture of the ribbon bars. I have a feeling this may be put together, from what I can see this has the combat infantry badge but also has an air medal not a likely combination, but could be possible

So here are the photos of the ribbon bar...thx anyway
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Double airborne patch jacket???   Double airborne patch jacket???  

?

Yes this is definitely put together, the patches most likely belong on the shirt, but the wings and CIB may not belong either. The light blue ribbon is for an Air Force Good Conduct medal which was not issued till the 50s. Could you post pictures of the Combat infantry badge and paratrooper wings. If you do not mind me asking what did you pay for this?

Sure, no problem like I said it wouldn't be too bad if it's post war....I paid 65$ for it after though negotiations...

I'm not an expert but these most definitely look repro...or modern...they do say MADE IN USA well I just hope that 65$ wasn't too much for it...

Quote by ajk99US View Post
    Me again,
    ...so it has 2 Aurborne patches the 82nd division and the 17th airborne...I don't get it why 2 different divisions exchange maybe??? And are they even real?
    I'm not a patch expert but these seem to be cut edge types which would be a good sign.

However, with regards to the question about why two different div patches; I am sure our US colleagues will put me right if I have this wrong but I believe that this occurs when a soldier has previous combat service with a division other than the one he is serving in. In such a case the patch on the right sleeve is of the unit with which he saw combat service whilst the one on the left is of the current unit. I believe the regulations have recently changed and the combat patch is now replaced by a small metal version worn on the right breast pocket (?) and is called the Combat Service Indentification Badge. I don't think this applies to combat uniform any longer either.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

After seeing the CIB and Wings I can say it is definitely added to the shirt, the wings and CIB look to be modern. You could try and research the numbers in the shirt, that shirt itself with the 82nd and 17th maybe good but you will have to research to prove it. From what I can see $65 is a little high

Well I thank you both very much for the information....I greatly appreciate it moreover I will look up the numbers in the shirt! Thank you again...