Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Eisenhower Jacket - Brit Battle Dress Blouse

Article about: Gentlemen - I'm seeking a size 46 Eisenhower Jacket AKA the Battle Dress Blouse worn by Brit's in the 50's. The US Marines also issued these jackets in the early - mid 50's. They were either

fortcollinsjerry
    ?

Default Eisenhower Jacket - Brit Battle Dress Blouse

Gentlemen - I'm seeking a size 46 Eisenhower Jacket AKA the Battle Dress Blouse worn by Brit's in the 50's. The US Marines also issued these jackets in the early - mid 50's. They were either wool or gaberdine fabric. Colors are a Marine Green to the Brit brown. I believe the style was also used buy some allied forces (?). I'm not a collector so as long as the garment is in good condition I can use a modern made version. No stripes, pips or patches. This is to complete my casual kilt attire.

Thanks

Jerry Crawford
    Fort Collins Colorado

Default Re: Eisenhower Jacket - Brit Battle Dress Blouse

Hi Jerry, welcome to the forum!

I am sure I will be able to help you. However, I need to know exactly which one you are after

Do you want an American or British/Commonwealth item?

The British developed the blouse in 1937. The one you show is that pattern. New paterns came out in 1940, 1946, 1947 and finally the last one in 1949 which was worn in the early 1960's.

The US Army adopted their version, the "M44 Ike jacket" in 1944. General Eisenhower liked the look of the British jacket and he was the driving force behind the American use of the jacket. Modified in again in 1950. The USMC called their version the "Vangegrift jacket".

As you are after a "large" size jacket (people were general smaller build in WW2) you would be best to obtain a reproduction. Originals in that size of any version will be hard to get.

Cheers, Ade.

fortcollinsjerry
    ?

Thank you Ade, I appreciate your speedy reply which adds to my education re: the BDB.

I'm a bit in a quandry over your comments about which version I am seeking. When I picture a warrior in Kilt the image that comes to mind is one of "Monty" wearing the short jacket and I'm thinking he was in kilt. I would like a jacket which has a covered button placket down the front and the belted buckle at the waist. I just think the covered buttons are much neater in appearance.

As to size: I've noted that almost ALL original jackets I've seen on the web (& there are many on ebay right now) are in the smaller range which would speak to your thoughts that men were generally smaller in the 40's. This alone would indicate a modern jacket would be easier to find that will fit my 6' fame & 15 stones.

I've spent the afternoon here cruising the web and I've come across a number of sites (What Price Glory & Pegasus, et al) that offer the jacket and I know I've seen other branches having blue or a green BD's.

Your observation about the cost of an original is well taken, so when I find the right garment I expect it to be modern made. Of course, I may also come across a Gent with one to sell that's nicly broken in

Cheer's

Hi Jerry, OK I am clear now about wich one you need

Go for a British Army 1937 pattern blouse from either "Pegasus" or "What Price Glory".

The chap that runs "Pegasus", Steve, is a personal friend of mine and his product is first class and I can highly recommend it.

I am just under 6ft and 13 stone and I too struggle to find original BD's to fit. I have 3 or 4 in my collection which are big enough for me to wear ( I do WW2 British living history)

Cheers, Ade.

fortcollinsjerry
    ?

I shall take a look at Steve's offerings......and thank's for the referal.

BTW, it must be nice to avail one's self of all those nice flea markets in UK. Back in 1985 I spent a very enjoyable summer in the UK and Scotland. Wish I could get back sometime. In the meantime I take my pleasure now and again with a pint of St Peters IPA.

For a number of years I also did the living history reenactment of the 18th century here in the colonies. Have whole boxes of attire as well as several long guns of that era which I made myself. Life is grand if you don't weaken.

Cheers

fortcollinsjerry
    ?

Gentlemen, Since this site was so helpful when I was getting started on my jacket search I thought I’d update the group on my success’s. I have located two sources who can provide the jacket.

The typical Brit P40 Battle jacket can be ordered from right off of the UK ebay site from Spearhead Militaria at

eBay UK Shop - Spearhead Militaria: Reversible Parka Trousers, Field Tunics, Camo Tunics

This outfit has dozens of WW2 uniform’s on the site. He will also take a special order for the P37. Cost is variable.

The jacket above is an original Eisenhower jacket as issued to the Army during WW2. In a Marine Green it is also the US Marine Battle jacket (AKA the Eisenhower or Vandergriff jacket). It is available from this chap "Sanjay Suri" for $155, delivered to the US.

I hope this info will be helpful to others.

Please let me warn you. The Indian gentleman you mention has a terrible reputation! Very poor shoddy goods or they simply never arrive.

Cheers, Ade.

Adrian is right, I ordred a compleat m36 tunic and a camo ss tunic, last year and it has not arrived yet! But I dit get my mony back! Paypal is very good ;D

fortcollinsjerry
    ?

Well, I thank you Gentlemen very much. I shall edit my posting

.....ah, there doesn't seem to be any way to edit the post. Sorry. But the follow-on posts seem to provide an adequate warning.

Hi Jerry, I have edited it partly for you taking out the email address.

I had a run in this him some years ago. He robbed a whole series of photos from my wife's old website about the ATS. He then presented the photos of original items as HIS reproductions! I had to threaten legal action to get them removed. His site shows many images taken from other sites and books and not his actual products. Another horror story I can relate is a friend sent him a uniform to copy. He took it to bits!

Cheers, Ade.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast