Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Estate fresh Ike jacket

Article about: The other day while browsing eBay I stumbled upon something interesting. It was a decent looking Ike jacket up for auction. The starting bid was only \\$21, and it was ending in less then an h

I really appreciate your thoughts on this jacket Phil! I just finished reading your responses, and you have made some very valid points.

So far all I've been able to do is find Sgt Smith on the national archives database. Its just the basic information like (Date of enlistment, previous occupation, last known rank, and so on) Do you know of any places where I can request more in depth information behind Sgt Smith? I would certainly love to know more about his service.

Best regards- Jarret

Jarret,

You need to fill out the forms from NARA and request his records..

Here is the tutorial that I wrote to help you through the process.. If you have any questions you can contact me..

A Tutorial on how to search for US Service Members Records from the National Archives (NARA)

Smitty

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    Jarret,

You need to fill out the forms from NARA and request his records..

Here is the tutorial that I wrote to help you through the process.. If you have any questions you can contact me..

A Tutorial on how to search for US Service Members Records from the National Archives (NARA)

Smitty
    Thank you so much Smitty!

I look forward to starting this journey. You're a HUGE help

?

Jarett,
    Smitty gave you your only option to see All That You Can See. Smitty, In my head as I typed that last line The old Army recruiting song came to mind. LOL. SEMPER FI. Phil

You're welcome Jarret,

The process to get the records is fairly simple,, and the more information you have the easier it will be for the researcher to pull the proper record...

Being a SMITH myself, there are hundreds of thousands of SMITHs who have served in our armed forces so gather as much info as possible when filling in the questions...

A membership to Ancestry and FOLD3 are also useful, especially if you are going to be doing long term research... The memberships in both have already paid me back 100 fold... But it isn't for everyone..

I also want to give you a heads up.. There was a fire at the National Archives in the 70's and several million records were lost... Don't get discouraged or give up if you should happen to get a letter back from NARA stating the "the record you requested could not be found, it was most likely in the area affected by the fire"...

This is the famous "Fire Letter" that some may talk about.. There are other records that could also be found through private research organizations..

In the event that you should get that letter from NARA, reach out to Golden Arrow Research. Geoff Gentilli and his staff do a remarkable job and their prices are very reasonable....

Golden Arrow Research-Research a Veteran

But try NARA first and see what happens.. The wait time from when you submit to response could be a few months,,, and if the record is available you will have to send them a fee, it could be as little as $25 or as high as $70 for the records.. This will take another few weeks to a month or so, so you are looking at about 4-5 months depending on volume received for other requests etc...

I just received a large file of over 100 pages for a WW2 Army Nurse, who's M1917 helmet I have. The only information I had in the helmet was her last name and Army Service number, but it was enough to find her, and she was a WW2 nurse who served in the pacific.. (I will be posting more about her story in a future topic after I read through more of her file...)

NARA is a good place to start your search....

Smitty

Phil,

You remember the Army add with that song and the Soldier drinking the coffee smiling and saying "Good Morning First Sergeant".... Remember when.....The good ole Army and Marine Corps days....

Smitty

Here is a look into my Army... The good old Gamma Goat vehicle and the good ole C-130....

YouTube

?

That's the one Smitty. Your AWESOME for all the help you give. Thank You! Those were the good Ole Days
    SEMPER FI. Phil

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123