Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

FANY Service Dress jacket & skirt (named)

Article about: Hiya, here is a 1938 pattern FANY Service Dress jacket from my collection. It is dated 1940. It is nicely named to two different girls. Miss Goldschimd was the original owner as her name app

Default FANY Service Dress jacket & skirt (named)

Hiya, here is a 1938 pattern FANY Service Dress jacket from my collection. It is dated 1940. It is nicely named to two different girls. Miss Goldschimd was the original owner as her name appears on the tailors label plus her initials are also inked onto the label in the neck.

The jacket was later used by another girl, a Miss Hill, as evidenced by the machine woven name tape.

The printed flash is for Northern Ireland Command. Girls who were former members of the FANY and later became members of the ATS wore the distinctive FANY / Womens Transport Service shoulder title.

Note the two buttons on each cuff: a distinctive feature of the FANY/WTS service dress tunic.

Interestingly the tunic shoulder straps were never fitted the brass ATS shoulder titles. But all the buttons are General Service pattern.

The skirt is the same high quality as the jacket. Hector Powe was a good tailors shop. Many members of the FANY came from "well to do" families.

Cheers, Lez.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture FANY Service Dress jacket & skirt (named)   FANY Service Dress jacket & skirt (named)  

FANY Service Dress jacket & skirt (named)   FANY Service Dress jacket & skirt (named)  

FANY Service Dress jacket & skirt (named)   FANY Service Dress jacket & skirt (named)  

Default re: FANY Service Dress jacket & skirt (named)

A shameless bump for this old thread from my wife

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Well bumped Ade. Stunning tunic, the formation patch and shoulder flash combination is just glorious. Brilliant condition and just wonderful to see. I would love to get something like this in the right size for my wife.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Super uniform and named history. The quality is incredible. I'd say well to do. I wonder what this uniform cost in 1940 by 2012 dollars? Did you find any service records for Miss Goldschmid or Miss Hill? I also think the ladies looked very, very sharp in these skirts. I'm keeping it toned down Ade. Thanks for the bump.

Jay

Incredible shoulder title - It looks as though someone has hand-written
    on a restaurant napkin what they had in mind, and the patch
    copied directly from it.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

?

I would like to see more photos of your wife.
    She is good lookin.
    Oh yea great ladies tunic and dress.

Hiya, thanks lads.

Hi Jay: I need to re-contact the FANY HQ as they did offer some help on researching the two girls names. We wrote to them some time ago: but due to Operations in Iraq & Afganistan they were too busy to do this for me. I will write again this year.

Hi Jerry, I have found most wartime tunics are small sized, 8 to 10's in modern dress sizes. But I am lucky enough to have some in my collection which do fit me. (I am not a size 8 to 10 )

Hi Steve, I like these titles too. I will show some more tunics I have with them on in a new thread. Here is another pair I have taken from a uniform:

FANY/WTS shoulder titles

Hi Steve, you have no chance! I hate having my photo taken.

Cheers, Lez.

Hi Lez, luckily, my wife is a size 10 (I think!!!???)
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Hi Jerry, I like your answer.

Hi Steve, I have taken my life in my hands here:

ATS Ack-Ack Officers uniform group

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!