Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Fully Decorated "Hell on Wheels" Ike Jacket...

Article about: Hi all! I picked up this Ike jacket from the vet's daughter. He passed away some time ago, and she doesn't know much about his service. I'm looking to figure out what this soldier did during

?

Default Fully Decorated "Hell on Wheels" Ike Jacket...

Hi all! I picked up this Ike jacket from the vet's daughter. He passed away some time ago, and she doesn't know much about his service.

I'm looking to figure out what this soldier did during the war, what his decorations mean, and where he might have served. I assume someone who specializes in US WWII militaria can tell me based on these photos. The only thing I'm certain of (or think I am anyway) is that he was a medic, and received the Presidential Citation, which I believe means he fought during the Normandy Invasion, right?

Anything I find out I will forward back to his daughter as she's very interested to know (I don't think her father talked about the war much).

Thanks!
    Dzyner
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fully Decorated "Hell on Wheels" Ike Jacket...   Fully Decorated "Hell on Wheels" Ike Jacket...  

Fully Decorated "Hell on Wheels" Ike Jacket...   Fully Decorated "Hell on Wheels" Ike Jacket...  

Fully Decorated "Hell on Wheels" Ike Jacket...  

Default Re: Fully Decorated "Hell on Wheels" Ike Jacket...

I can tell from the jacket and it's insignia he was a Private First Class in the 2nd Armored
    Division - Medical Branch - attached to or previously from the U.S. Fourth ( IV = Ivy )
    Division and he was overseas two years. He made at least one parachute drop -
    but this badge may have been 'added' to the jacket much later and not actually awarded !
    I need to see the backside of this pin.

We presume he was a Medic from the Medic Badge - the red aguilette on the right shoulder
    represents the Medical Branch. He was also honorably discharged.

The ribbons are from top left : Purple Heart Medal - for being wounded in action,
    Good Conduct Medal, WWII Victory Medal, Veterans Of Foreign Wars Medal,
    American Defense Medal, and the Middle Eastern/European Campaign Medal with five
    'Battle Stars' - each star plus the ribbon itself representing an individual campaign.

The Presidential Unit Citation is awarded for participation in a particular engagement,
    not specifically Normandy.

As a medic, he would not have carried a weapon, but he would have been a vital
    and much needed, valued and respected member of his group.

It's a great jacket. The man who wore it was one of the heroes of WWII.

Regards, Steve.
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 04-12-2010 at 04:46 AM.

?

That jacket is in awesome shape!
    Nice Find

?

beautiful jacket! 2nd armored division! hell on wheels baby! PM me if you are willing to sell this jacket. im sure it's not for sale, but most of the time things can have a price tag! i was into the whole 1st armored division thing for a while, and always will be interested in all divisions armored. lol i must say i love the campaign battles medal. He was obviously an honorable man. Not many left nowadays unfortunately. great find man

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    I can tell from the jacket and it's insignia he was a Private First Class in the 2nd Armored
    Division - Medical Branch - attached to or previously from the U.S. Fourth ( IV = Ivy )
    Division and he was overseas two years. He made at least one parachute drop -
    but this badge may have been 'added' to the jacket much later and not actually awarded !
    I need to see the backside of this pin.

We presume he was a Medic from the Medic Badge - the red aguilette on the right shoulder
    represents the Medical Branch. He was also honorably discharged.

The ribbons are from top left : Purple Heart Medal - for being wounded in action,
    Good Conduct Medal, WWII Victory Medal, Veterans Of Foreign Wars Medal,
    American Defense Medal, and the Middle Eastern/European Campaign Medal with five
    'Battle Stars' - each star plus the ribbon itself representing an individual campaign.

The Presidential Unit Citation is awarded for participation in a particular engagement,
    not specifically Normandy.

As a medic, he would not have carried a weapon, but he would have been a vital
    and much needed, valued and respected member of his group.

It's a great jacket. The man who wore it was one of the heroes of WWII.

Regards, Steve.
    You are correct on all your info.
    But he did 5 parachute jump during trainning.
    If he had jump during combat he would have received a star on it.
    But I do think the wings were added later ,not sure it goes with this uniform no airborne tabs.

Quote by cricketchris1944 View Post
    You are correct on all your info.
    But he did 5 parachute jump during trainning.
    If he had jump during combat he would have received a star on it.
    But I do think the wings were added later ,not sure it goes with this uniform no airborne tabs.
    The Para badge is not in the right position either. It would be above
    the Medic badge or below, but never astride it.
    Not regulation !

I would still like to see a close up of the reverse of this parachute badge.
    It could tell me a lot about when it was made...........
    Regards,

Steve.

@ Steve
    you are right about the position.
    great tunic.
    I just have the feeling that the wings are post-war.

Quote by cricketchris1944 View Post
    @ Steve
    you are right about the position.
    great tunic.
    I just have the feeling that the wings are post-war.
    I think so too !

One little peek is all I'd need ....................... !
    Regards,

Steve.