Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Greek Sacred Squadron Captain uniform

Article about: Hi all! In this thread http://warrelics.eu/forum/uniforms/a...-jacket-14849/ I had posted an Australian made pair of BD trousers, which belonged to a grouping of a Greek Sacred Squadron offi

Default Greek Sacred Squadron Captain uniform

Hi all!

In this thread Aussie Wool Service Jacket I had posted an Australian made pair of BD trousers, which belonged to a grouping of a Greek Sacred Squadron officer.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to buy this whole, superb grouping, since the dealer who found it kept it for his personal collection. So, all I was left with, was a pair of trousers...

Anyway, it took some time, but here are the photos he gave me, as I promised!

Regards, Giorgos

I was told by the dealer that the BD Blouse is of New Zealand manufacture. Note the greek rank pips.
    Para qualification wings, note the blue background.
    Pardon my ignorance on this one, but what patch is this?
    The beret, with Greek crown and cockade.

Default Re: Greek Sacred Squadron Captain uniform

That looks really nice.

Cheers, Ade.

Question Re: Greek Sacred Squadron Captain uniform

A really interesting jacket from my point of view. As a collector of formation signs there is nothing better than seeing original badges on battledress. Especially interesting are the wings, you say that they are blue . This is important to record becaurs some "experts" state that the wings were on a black background. Please can you conferm backing colour. I am going to our badge meeting this Saturday and will try to find out what the other formation sign is. John. I have just printed off the picture of the formation sign ready to take to the meeting and on looking at it I think that it depicts Diana the Huntress, would you agree. Regards, John.

It is indeed a great looking and very rare uniform. The grouping also included some webbing etc. and was found in the original, named footlocker, but unfortunately I don't have any pics of these.

John, the background colour is a dark blue one. I have a similar looking "locally made" pair of wings, posted here, https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/airbo...n-wings-20852/ that has the same dark blue backing colour. Although it looks like the "Indian" examples, I have a feeling that it might have been made somewhere in the Mediterranean, possibly Middle East, like the ones pictured in the above BD. I guess that the colour tone would differ greatly in such locally made examples.

I also lean towards Diana for the patch. I made a search about it, but it was unfortunately fruitless. I would be grateful if you could find what formation it is!

Regards, Giorgos

PS: The dealer also found two partisan tunics recently, one of which had a silk lining, taken from a parachute! No way to purchase these, either, he is always keeping the cream of the crop for himself!

I went to the badge meeting yesterday and no one could identify your formation badge. One person said that he had seen some Greek badges on ebay and a badge very much like yours was advertised as a Greek Armoured unit ?I do have a small doubt about this jacket because all the pictures I have seen for the Sacred Squadron the wings they are wearing are of the SAS pattern, worn on the right brest. Neverthe less I will continue to try to find out any ninfo on the "Diana"badge for you. Regards, John.

Hi John!

Thank you very much for researching the badge, I really appreciate it! I had a search towards the direction of greek formations, but found nothing related. I will keep looking, too, though!

Regarding the para qualification wings worn by the Sacred Squadron, I think that there was no "standard" pattern or place as to were they were to be worn. Here are some period photos that I think that can be of interest:

2nd Lt. Marinos of the Sacred Squadron was the first paratrooper of the Greek SF. Note the wings.

These are also men of the GSS, note the wings of the two men in the middle, on the right arm.
    Note the wings on the right arm of the man second from left.

I guess that there must have been a certain diversity regarding patterns, too, since many of these would be localy made examples. I would be really interested to see more opinions on this subject!

Regards, Giorgos

Your pictures have put to rest my doubts on the placing of and type of wings worn, thanks for that. Now we have to crack the identity of the formation sign, good luck, John.

I 'm always glad to share info, John!

Thanks again for your time and effort, I really appreciate it! I hope that it will be successfully identified!

Regards, Giorgos