Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Guide to Canadian Khaki Drill Shorts and Shirts (as worn in Hong Kong, Jamaica and in Canada during the summer)

Article about: Hey guys, I did this little write-up at a friend's request (he is putting together a Battle of Hong Kong display). I thought I would re-post it here in case there was anyone interested in th

?

Default Guide to Canadian Khaki Drill Shorts and Shirts (as worn in Hong Kong, Jamaica and in Canada during the summer)

Hey guys,

I did this little write-up at a friend's request (he is putting together a Battle of Hong Kong display). I thought I would re-post it here in case there was anyone interested in this uncommon bit of Canadian kit.

Canadian shorts didn't really change throughout the war. Unlike British shorts, they lacked buckles, had small belt loops and were made in a distinctive green shade...

Here are some shots of my examples. The first is dated 1940 and was made by The T. Eaton Co.

Guide to Canadian Khaki Drill Shorts and Shirts (as worn in Hong Kong, Jamaica and in Canada during the summer)Guide to Canadian Khaki Drill Shorts and Shirts (as worn in Hong Kong, Jamaica and in Canada during the summer)
    Guide to Canadian Khaki Drill Shorts and Shirts (as worn in Hong Kong, Jamaica and in Canada during the summer)Guide to Canadian Khaki Drill Shorts and Shirts (as worn in Hong Kong, Jamaica and in Canada during the summer)

This next example is dated 1942 or 43 and was also made by The T. Eaton Co.

This last pair was made by the Great Western Garment Co., Ltd. In 1945...

Lastly, I thought I'd include a couple pictures of Canadian trouser belts. The leather one is the early war style with an extremely faint Canadian acceptance mark, while the webbing one is the latter style that appeared in 1942.

Canadian shirts are tricky and took me many years to figure out. After years of searching, I eventually found a few of them

Unlike the shorts, Canadian summer shirts changed a bit through the course of the war (as far as I can tell)

All Canadian shirts seemed to feature an extra set of buttons at the collar, so the collar could be held open. This same style was used in the 1930s by the British, who largely abandoned the style by the time the war started. Early production Canadian shirts also featured a half front, short sleeves and no epaulettes, as seen in the following picture from 1940-41.

Guide to Canadian Khaki Drill Shorts and Shirts (as worn in Hong Kong, Jamaica and in Canada during the summer)

Also notice the leather belt in use at this time and the full length puttees worn without tall socks. This picture shows the buttoned-open collar nicely

Here's an early Canadian shirt made by The T. Eaton Co. in 1940. In addition to the button-opened collar, short sleeves and lack of epaulettes, it features openings under the arms for ventilation. It is interesting to note that it is still made in the British khaki shade, rather than the Greenish khaki shade adopted by Canada in the 1930s. Note also that the chest pockets have rounded corners.

This next shirt is almost identical, but is in the greenish khaki shade. The markings and date on this example have faded away.

During the middle of the war, it appears that the half front converted to a shirt with a fully opening front, though the shirt continued to have the button-opened collar, short sleeves and lack of epaulettes. This next shirt's markings have also faded away, but it is likely a mid war shirt

It appears that there was one more pattern that appeared late in the war and continued into the early postwar years. It featured the typical button-opened collar (albeit of a different shape), but it also had a fully opening front, long sleeves (with straps to keep the sleeves rolled up) and epaulettes.

These pictures show Chinese Canadians serving in India late in the war. There seems to be mid and late war shirts here...

I have one of these late war shirts, but I shortened the sleeves and removed the epaulettes years ago when I was still looking for the early war style (this was a mistake in hindsight). This example was made by C.C.C. LTD. in 1949 and features a Canadian broad arrow acceptance mark. Note also that the pockets on these late war shirts have diagonal, rather than rounded, corners.

Lastly, I have a Canadian officers' shirt made by William Scully, Limited of Montreal. I am not sure if it is late war or postwar, but it is in the greenish khaki shade. The shirt is a poplin rather than a drill material and features epaulettes as well as pockets with diagonal corners. It does not feature a buttoned-open collar.

Well, I hope this of interest and help to someone. If there is interest, I could include Canadian pattern khaki drill service dress as well...

Excellent.Thank you.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

CBH
    ?

Thank you karkee for another informative post , I have a pair of shorts and I'll post them when I have time .

Nicely done research. Thanks for posting.