Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help to identify a button on a 1940 BD

Article about: Cheers Ade.....I should know better I will

Default Help to identify a button on a 1940 BD

Guys.
    It may sound to you a stupid question, but I'm a bit stuck identifying this button. I'm not sure what, if any Highland Division it relates to?
    I'm pretty sure it's not a Cameroon is it the highland light infantry?
    also the tunic is devoid of any shoulder flashes, although it looks like they have been removed. It only has a Tartan patch under each sleeve where the flash would have been.
    The blouse is 1940 dated, it is a '37 pattern (I think) closed collar, but not hidden buttons. Am I right in saying flashes were removed before the BEF embarked?
    might sound like a stupid question, but I know very little regarding British uniforms( some might say I know very little, full stop)
    thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help to identify a button on a 1940 BD  

Default Re: Help to identify a button on a 1940 BD

I think the button is Cameronians (Scottish Rifles). Definitely not HLI.

The only other possibility is a KRRC officer's black metal button but it doesn't seem likely.

As far as I know, only Rifle regiments replaced the khaki plastic buttons issued with BD, with regimental buttons. As it isn't RUR or Rifle Brigade, that really just leaves the Cameronians.

The Cameronians weren't really a Highland regiment but they did have a tartan backing for the badge....a sort of dark grey/light grey. I'll try and find out more.

Hope this helps.

Pat

Cameronians adopted the Douglas tartan which is more green/blue than I recalled. The illustration on the net is much more flashy than that actually worn, which was rather somber.

PG

Thanks Pat That's good information. The patch is as you described. I can't do a picture until late tonight, Not an officers one, It's a full srew's BD What about the flashes being removed? Would this have been done before embarkation?

Hi John, the info Pat has given you is correct.

If it has a fly front with covered buttons it is a 1937 pattern. The 1940 Austerity pattern BD has exposed front buttons, but did not actually come into service until 1942.

Re the Tartan, here is a pair of trews from my collection from the estate of an Officer of the Cameronians. Douglas tartan.

All Flashes were often ordered to be removed prior to embarkation. But it may well have been done post war.

Rifle Regts were keen on replacing the buttons, even down to the one on the trouser "map pocket".

I look forwards to seeing more.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help to identify a button on a 1940 BD  

Thanks Ade & Pat. British is not my forte

I just bought a complete ensemble, mint un-issued complete set of '37 webbing, including a mint Gas mask and pouch ,BD, vest, Braces and trousers (all dated '43)

Don't ask why, at least I have a fancy dress costume should the occasion arise

I just fancied a change, and it looks quite good on a mannequin! I've attached a couple more photos to confirm what you have both said, so what do the flashes look like? Excuse my ignorance on this, but it's an area i know little of. Beats SS stuff for authenticity by a mile

By the way I got the whole lot for well under £250.

So i think it was a fair price?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help to identify a button on a 1940 BD   Help to identify a button on a 1940 BD  

Hi John, you did very well on the price. The trousers alone are worth more than half of that.

The Blouse is a 1940 pattern.

The flashes look good.

Cheers, Ade.

So do i put some shoulder flashes on it? And more to the point....what do they look like? I feel pretty stupid about this as i have very little knowledge on British. Is it the Queens own Cameron Highlanders? and were they part of the 51st division?

Thanks in advance

Ok, I found some information
    Sleeve insignia:

CAMERONIANS black on dark green shoulder title (1943-1944), or 2" square tartan patch worn on its point (1945).

15th (Scottish) divisional sign

(2) rifle green (rifles) arm-of service strips

Rank insignia:

NCO's would have chevrons in black color with a dark green backing material.

Is this correct?

I realise now it's THE CAMERONIANS (Scottish Rifles) with the Douglas Tartan
    NOT the Queens own DOH!!

Hi John, I would leave it just as it is.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast