Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help needed :) What on earth uniform is this? Boer??

Article about: Hello, Sadly one of my elderly relatives passed away recently and upon sorting out her house we came across this picture of what I presume is a family member from the past. It was originally

Default Help needed :) What on earth uniform is this? Boer??

Hello, Sadly one of my elderly relatives passed away recently and upon sorting out her house we came across this picture of what I presume is a family member from the past. It was originally a negative image on a glass plate, to get this picture I had to take a negative style picture on my phone to get the original image - if you know what i mean?

The image looks to me from the boer war era but i dont know if its military or just dress up for the camera? The gaiters and the bandolier look ok but the shoes and ill fitting jacket with no insignia make me doubt.

We sadly know nothing of who this is or where it was taken If its any help - which i doubt - it was found in an envelope poststamped 1933.
    Absolutely any info appreciated.
    Thankyou.
    Help needed :) What on earth uniform is this? Boer??

NCA
    ?

Default Re: Help needed :) What on earth uniform is this? Boer??

I think you are on the right tracks regarding Boer war era.It looks to me like he is armed with either Lee-Metford or a Long Lee-Enfeild rifle.The hat he is wearing certainly looks like the type worn by Commonwealth troops in South Africa as does the Bandolier.
    Could he be an Australian or New zealander??Just thinking aloud here.Sorry i cant be any help.If you google Lee-enfield bandoliers there are many images of troops wearing these.

NCA
    ?

Thankyou for that info - i had my suspicions it was the Boer era, just a gut feeling. As far as i know we had no one from our family in the Boer war. Again thankyou for the bandolier info Do you think the ill fitting tunic and lack of insignia is 'of its time'?
    Cheers.

Sadly the glass negative isnt in the greatest of condition
    Rob.