Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Help with RAF Jacket

Article about: Can anyone tell me how old this RAF officers jacket is? the buttons look to have been replaced. Could it be a more modern jacket with kings crown buttons added? And is it usual for these jac

Default Help with RAF Jacket

Can anyone tell me how old this RAF officers jacket is? the buttons look to have been replaced. Could it be a more modern jacket with kings crown buttons added? And is it usual for these jackets to have the bottom two buttons right next to each other? What does that signify? Many thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3web.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	227.0 KB 
ID:	383836   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	web1.jpg 
Views:	825 
Size:	224.3 KB 
ID:	383837  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	web2.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	221.2 KB 
ID:	383838  

Default Re: Help with RAF Jacket

Interesting jacket.

I am certain the fourth button would be a plain flat button, worn under the belt. It had collar badges at one point, can we get a closeup of the lapels to see? From what I can see, they could be medical or dental badges, but i can't be sure. Does it have any evidence of rank insignia?

I have a feeling the design with three visible buttons is post-war, but I can't remember why I think this

Rob

I just found what I was looking for. The design with the flat button under the belt was introduced with the 1947 Pattern, and continued with the 1951 Pattern style, which is what this jacket is.

Rob

Thank you, thats very helpful. Douglas

Hi,it looks like a relatively modern officers jacket with replacement buttons.As has already been said the bottom button would be either a flat brass or black plastic.Looks as though the tailors label has been removed as this would give you an idea as to a date.Have a look in the pockets,sometimes the RAF dry cleaners labels are in there which may provide you with a clue as to it's age.Again as said the collar insigia could be dental, medic or even volunteer reserve.