Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Home Guard '37 Patt' 4th E.Lancs Staff Sgt's BD blouse

Article about: Hi all, looking at this Home Guard Staff Sgt's BD blouse at the moment. Annoyed from this ads?   I understand that it came from an auction lot from the same family and I'm hoping to get

?

Default Home Guard '37 Patt' 4th E.Lancs Staff Sgt's BD blouse

Hi all, looking at this Home Guard Staff Sgt's BD blouse at the moment.

I understand that it came from an auction lot from the same family and I'm hoping to get a name at some point if possible.

It has an unlined collar making it early 1940 production at the latest I think, and I quite like the clear label as some had paper based labels I believe which tend to be in worse condition. The "EL" and the "4" battalion numeral are not butted up but I've seen wartime pictures with a gap like that.

All comments welcome!

Best regards, Paul
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Home Guard '37 Patt' 4th E.Lancs Staff Sgt's BD blouse   Home Guard '37 Patt' 4th E.Lancs Staff Sgt's BD blouse  

Attached Images Attached Images Home Guard '37 Patt' 4th E.Lancs Staff Sgt's BD blouse 

?

Default More pictures

Some more pictures:-
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Home Guard '37 Patt' 4th E.Lancs Staff Sgt's BD blouse   Home Guard '37 Patt' 4th E.Lancs Staff Sgt's BD blouse  

Attached Images Attached Images Home Guard '37 Patt' 4th E.Lancs Staff Sgt's BD blouse 

Paul,

The BD belonged to Sgt G Snowden. I purchased his soldier box that contained his pre WW1 scarlet jacket and trousers, several caps, his ww1 uniform and two identical HG badged BD blouses one of which I passed on. You can search the archive at Tennants Auctioneers 4th Jun 14 auction to see more details of the lot. I hope this helps.

Mark

?

Hi all, picked this up from the post office this morning. Just wanted to say thanks to Steve at "Britton at War" for a great item, and also to Mark for all the extremely helpful information (and PM's).

The jacket has clearly had ribbons on at some point, Mark has told me which ribbons are missing (he has another of Sgt Snowden's BD's with the ribbons) - 15 Star, British War Medal, Victory Medal, Territorial Force Efficency Medal and Special Constabulary medal, so that will be a small restoration project at some point!

Regards, Paul

A nice Home Guard BD ,the EL insignia can be for either Lancashire or East Lothian but as you now know your man was a WW1 Lancaster Regt man it really only leaves you with the obvious! Well done on a nice tunic. Leon.

Default Sgt Snowden's other Bd

This is Sgt Snowdens other HG badged BD showing medal ribbons. Marksmans badge is missing but clearly evident as to where it was.

?

Thanks Mark, really appreciate that. Nice to see how he applied the ribbons, a picture speaks a thousand words! I suppose the Home Guard was simply the 'tail end' of a long and fascinating military (and Police!) career.

Regards, Paul

?

Hi, finally managed to restore the ribbons (worn examples, hand-sewn on) - thanks to Mark's picture! Displayed here with the Home Guard helmet discussed elsewhere, and a 1940 dated FS cap which came with the King's Own badge looped over the scallop, which I believe is sometimes seen with Home Guard caps. No proof they've always been together, but it has 'the look'. Also added a 1940 dated 1903 pattern belt.

Thanks to the research of Mark and Steve (see link to the other thread on the WW1 Forum), who has acquired his medals, I now know quite a lot about the owner of this jacket which certainly makes it much more interesting to me!

Luckily when I bought the jacket I asked "Is there any history with it?", otherwise I'd have had an anonymous Home Guard BD without ribbons.... I always ask, usually it's a waste of time, but on this occasion I struck Gold!

Regards, Paul

Home Guard '37 Patt' 4th E.Lancs Staff Sgt's BD blouse   Home Guard '37 Patt' 4th E.Lancs Staff Sgt's BD blouse  

?

Also, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the arrangement of badges might indicate that this blouse was worn from April 1944, probably to the end of his Home Guard service in December 1944 as the trade patch (Marksman) was moved to the other arm when the length of service stripes were introduced (for the Home Guard) in April 1944? Four stripes were the maximum as the Home Guard had a 4 year existence. As the collar in unlined, indicating an early 1940 blouse, I'm guessing it's possible this blouse may have seen service form the beginning to the end of his HG service?

Regards, Paul