Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Indian made BD?

Article about: by Battery Command Post I don't know what the N or 1 in a circle marks are, although they look suspiciously like sizing information to me. I have never heard of any Indian date code Rob It's

Default Indian made BD?

I took a chance on this one in spite of the sellers pics, so hopefully I got it right.

Until it arrives, the sellers pics will have to do. It's badged to GHQ India and has what appears to me to be typical Indian markings, N over a 1in a circle I think means 1943 size 1, though I'm not sure what the other marks mean. The insignia is pretty mothed and though in some of the pictures the BD looks blue, I'm sure that is just bad lighting. It also has medal ribbons for the 39-45 star, the Burma star and the defence medal.

The only thing that threw me out is the pleated pockets matched with exposed buttons, so a hybrid P37/P40, so maybe using up old stocks of pockets?

I'll post some pics of my own when it arrives.
    Attached Images Attached Images Indian made BD?  Indian made BD?  Indian made BD?  Indian made BD?  Indian made BD?  Indian made BD?  Indian made BD?  Indian made BD?  Indian made BD?  Indian made BD?  Indian made BD? 
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Default Re: Indian made BD?

Hi. That's a nice BD for sure. It's definitely Indian manufacture. The only other one I have had the chance to study (i.e. the one i have) has the same pocket/buttons as yours. This might well be just a feature of indian blouses, I'm thinking.

Rob

Looks good.

I have only one Indian made BD. Poorly made really. But pockets are conventional for the pattern.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Many thanks to Rob and Ade for their opinions, always valued and appreciated.

This looks badly made, though some I looked at whilst researching it before buying it looked much better and also many of them had unpleated pockets.

I await it's arrival and I am happy to add it to my collection of BD's, 4 down, not sure how many more to go.
    Regards,

Jerry

That's the most obviously Indian made Indian BD I've ever seen!

Nice one.

It arrived the other day but I have been busy with work and the weather has been poor, but I managed to take a couple of pics, though the colour is not quite right in them.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Indian made BD?   Indian made BD?  

Regards,

Jerry

Having had a chance to look at this in more detail today, I found another stamp, underneath the interior pocket.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Indian made BD?   Indian made BD?  

Regards,

Jerry

Quote by Bond View Post
    Having had a chance to look at this in more detail today, I found another stamp, underneath the interior pocket.
    This circle mark is the standard mark in Indian military clothing. The top blob was the manufacturer (Simon?), the central strip has the Indian government acceptance stamp (Broad Arrow over I) and the date of manufacture, July 1944. I don't know what the lower numbers mean though, possibly a batch/contract or even inspector's mark?

Rob

As I thought, but I was fairly certain that the N mark, over the 1 in a circle, was for 1943, so that has confused me slightly.
    Regards,

Jerry

I don't know what the N or 1 in a circle marks are, although they look suspiciously like sizing information to me. I have never heard of any Indian date code

Rob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast