Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Jacket RAAF but with Polish Insignia

Article about: G'day all, This one has me stumped!?! S46 "Esquire" certainly all original to this example, just an odd ball! RAF/RAAF never had epoulettes as well. any info all please?

Default Jacket RAAF but with Polish Insignia

G'day all,

This one has me stumped!?! S46 "Esquire" certainly all original to this example, just an odd ball!
    RAF/RAAF never had epoulettes as well.
    any info all please?

That is an interesting one René! According to the Polish pattern, I believe the stripes on the boards make him a Lance Sergeant.

A bit of a head scratcher as it is an Australian made uniform. Is it possible an Aussie made garment was issued in England?

Another possibility is a Polish soldier immigrating during the war and then, after some time, demobilised in Australia. This would perhaps make him eligible for an Aussie made uniform between this time?

At least one of the soldiers in the link below appeared to have immigrated to Australia during the war whilst technically still being enlisted:

Australian International Research Institute - Resources

Thanks Chris, the rank I never knew! and the link is very interesting. Thanks again Mate.
    I owe you a tinnie!

I think it is a made up Polish veterans. The insignia are a mix of repros, the shoulder titles in particular and post war Polish AF rank and collars. i have clue abut the bullion path though...

No polish aircrew would have worn RAAF jackets. They were an air force in exile equipped by the RAF. A Pole in an RAAF unit would have been in PAF in exile RAF uniforms with Polish insignia (but this was often an eccentric mix) Polish Volunteers in the RAF are a bit different. Just as an a commonwealth volunteer in the RAF had RAF uniforms with nationality titles versus being in a dominion air force. Does that make sense? A South African in the RAF is distinct from SAAF.

Quote by asterperious View Post
    I think it is a made up Polish veterans. The insignia are a mix of repros, the shoulder titles in particular and post war Polish AF rank and collars. i have clue abut the bullion path though...

No polish aircrew would have worn RAAF jackets. They were an air force in exile equipped by the RAF. A Pole in an RAAF unit would have been in PAF in exile RAF uniforms with Polish insignia (but this was often an eccentric mix) Polish Volunteers in the RAF are a bit different. Just as an a commonwealth volunteer in the RAF had RAF uniforms with nationality titles versus being in a dominion air force. Does that make sense? A South African in the RAF is distinct from SAAF.
    What you say about the vet make up does make sense. I do believe though the titles are original as they match up with a set of "Australia" I have on a Canadian made jacket. May I ask if there is reference you can point me on about the collars & AF rank?
    Thanks for your valued comments Mate.

?

As we know an awful lot of aircrew were killed. Do you suppose their kit was put back into circulation which would account for this jacket?

Oz.