Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

King George VI odd RAF Uniform

Article about: I am 100% sure it's an army Field Marshal's badge. If it were an Air Marshal's badge I would expect to see the wingtips of the albatross (some say eagle) overlaying the wreath. The uniform i

Default Re: King George VI odd RAF Uniform

I am 100% sure it's an army Field Marshal's badge. If it were an Air Marshal's badge I would expect to see the wingtips of the albatross (some say eagle) overlaying the wreath.

The uniform itself, however, is an interesting hybrid in any case. Judging by the details of the pockets, the jacket he is wearing would appear to be of Guards cut, but with FM insignia.

Rob

I think an Army Field Marshal's badge too.

The uniform might well be the Austerity pattern.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thank you very much for your quick attention. Thank you also for the further details you added. If I also can add on to the question, I learned that the King was very keen on things military, such as traditions, Crests, colours, and uniforms. So, He can be credited with a touch of "coquetry" in either cases you mentioned. I read He was also very proud of His Raf Wings, although admitting he had earned them the easier way. Regards. Gaetano

The tunic, from what I can see of it, is very similar to a Canadian mounted pattern tunic I used to own. It was interwar dated and looked alot like British ww2 austerity pattern.

he was the king so he could wear whatever he liked.

Quote by Gaetano View Post
    Thank you very much for your quick attention. Thank you also for the further details you added. If I also can add on to the question, I learned that the King was very keen on things military, such as traditions, Crests, colours, and uniforms. So, He can be credited with a touch of "coquetry" in either cases you mentioned. I read He was also very proud of His Raf Wings, although admitting he had earned them the easier way. Regards. Gaetano
    It would seem he certainly had fun with his uniforms, and got the most out of it. He wore a wide variety of uniforms during the war (from all three services), but as harryamb2 said, he was the King and could wear whatever he liked, within reason. Even so, he never actually went as far as General 'Boy' Browning, who actually designed his own uniforms, and got away with it.

I would still stand by my identification of that jacket as being of Guards cut. Firstly because I have seen GVIR in a FM-badged Guards uniform before, but I've never seen him in the 1942 'austerity' pattern and secondly because it has two features that would suggest it: a) it's cut very 'tight' on his chest and b) the material from the pocket is pushing the pocket flaps out on each outer side, but not on the inner edges - due to the fact that Guards jackets have half-bellows breast pockets, i.e. they are expandable on the outside edges.

Don't worry about wasting our time though, this thread is starting to develop into a discussion of service dress types, and anything that starts interesting discussion is welcome, that's how we all learn new things.

Quote by helldunkle View Post
    The tunic, from what I can see of it, is very similar to a Canadian mounted pattern tunic I used to own. It was interwar dated and looked alot like British ww2 austerity pattern.
    That sounds interesting, shame you don't have it still. There has never been a mounted 'pattern' of service dress (in the official sense), but there is definitely a style of SD jacket 'cut' that was preferred by cavalry units. They also preferred certain fabrics too. I have a 12th Lancers jacket from 1930 that has a definite cavalry 'style' to it. Perhaps a thread on SD jacket fashion and type might be fun sometime...

Rob

Hi Guys, I love the way threads can evolve like this too.

Rob, your mission should you choose to accept it...

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Battery Command Post View Post

I would still stand by my identification of that jacket as being of Guards cut. Firstly because I have seen GVIR in a FM-badged Guards uniform before, but I've never seen him in the 1942 'austerity' pattern and secondly because it has two features that would suggest it: a) it's cut very 'tight' on his chest and b) the material from the pocket is pushing the pocket flaps out on each outer side, but not on the inner edges - due to the fact that Guards jackets have half-bellows breast pockets, i.e. they are expandable on the outside edges.

Rob
    Glad you explained your thought's Rob, as I wondered why you posted this ID of the Tunic.

Interesting thread.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Here is an Austerity pattern SD jacket from my collection.

British Recconaisance Corps Officers Austerity pattern service dress jacket.

Cheers, Ade.

Here is a ww2 Canadian mounted tunic, Provost Corps I think. Wish I still had my interwar example
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast