Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Maj. Gen . uniform

Article about: Picked this uniform up at auction could anybody help with his awards and maybe a little info on him . I know its not WWII bit its cool. thanks Gary

?

Default Maj. Gen . uniform

Picked this uniform up at auction could anybody help with his awards and maybe a little info on him . I know its not WWII bit its cool. thanks Gary
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Maj. Gen . uniform   Maj. Gen . uniform  

Maj. Gen . uniform   Maj. Gen . uniform  

Maj. Gen . uniform  

Interesting find. Post war dress tunic showing wartime service. Medal ribbons from left to right; OBE (order of the British Empire) 1939-45 Star, Africa Star (8th Army), Italy Star, second row; France and Germany Star, Defence medal, War Medal (with palm clasp) last one, pass. He certainly got around.
    You should be able to research Armitage if you had the inclination, and you need to give him some new brass wear for the shoulder. He may have been a Second Lieutenant during the war but by 1967 when this tunic seems to date from he had risen in rank.

Very fine pick up, love these senior officer SD tunics. Obviously the "palm cluster" is an oakleaf for a mention in dispatches (MiD) which would show up on a search of The Gazette online, in fact you would probably get a few hits for him there The Gazette | Official Public Record
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Thank you Anderson and Jerry I've been looking for the shoulder insignia and will have one soon

?

Found a few things out about the Maj Gen he was director of the RAC. Then was in charge of Northumbrian district