Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Marine Corps Uniforms

Article about: Hi guys, I wanted to share two of my marine corps uniforms. The first one is Vandergrift Jacket from the late 1940s to early 1950s. I picked up this one at a local resale shop. The jacket ca

Default Marine Corps Uniforms

Hi guys, I wanted to share two of my marine corps uniforms. The first one is Vandergrift Jacket from the late 1940s to early 1950s. I picked up this one at a local resale shop. The jacket came with pants also. Their is name on both the pants and jacket that says J.K. Able and I was wondering if someone could help me research it. The name is J.K. Able.

The second uniform is a 1969 Vietnam Era Tunic. I also picked this one up at a local resale shop for cheap. It is in really good shape except for one moth hole on the sleeve. It's just missing the belt. This one also has a name I would like to trace if possible. The name is Hondo. I also have a couple of questions about it being a newby. On the chevrons why is there crossed guns and how many years does each service stripe stand for? Thanks so much for your help. All opinions and thoughts welcome.

Calloway

Marine Corps UniformsMarine Corps UniformsMarine Corps UniformsMarine Corps UniformsMarine Corps UniformsMarine Corps UniformsMarine Corps UniformsMarine Corps UniformsMarine Corps UniformsMarine Corps Uniforms

?

James K Able, Jr.
    Service Number 1582020
    April 1956 at boot camp in San Diego
    Last muster roll entry January 1958
    MOS 0141...no longer exists, but was in administration field. I believe it was 'Administration Man'
    Served with H&S Battery, 1st Anti-Aircraft Artillery Battalion in 29 Palms, California
    Last rank listed: Corporal

The muster rolls are only available from 1958 and before, he likely served until 1960, hence the Sgt stripes and P1956 EGAs. While the EGA pattern was approved in 1956, it didn't start seeing use until 1957 in very limited quantities, started getting more use in 1958 with near full implementation by 1960

Thanks so much for the info Brig.

Cal

In the late 1950s the Marine Corps revamped its rank structure to be more inline with the US Army and allied NATO forces implementing the enlisted and officer pay grades we have today. Notable changes made was the current enlisted rank structure we use today, the creation of the Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps, and the addition of crossed rifles to the enlisted rank insignia of lance corporals, corporals, sergeants, staff sergeants (the rank on your coat), gunnery sergeants, and master sergeants.

The service strips on the cuff of each sleeve represents four years of service. So this SSgt had more than 12 yrs but less than 16 yrs of service in the USMC.

?

Very nice finds Calloway!!!
    They look great and it looks like Brig and 08SMLE gave you some fantastic info!!!

Looks like you need some EGA's for the lapel for the SSgt uniform. Hmmm.

Semper Fi
    Phil