Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Marine uniforms in period photos/ID help needed

Article about: Hi folks, Here are two photos with a common theme - women donning their partner's uniform. An internet friend posted these in hopes he could find out more information about the uniforms and

Default Marine uniforms in period photos/ID help needed

Hi folks, Here are two photos with a common theme - women donning their partner's uniform. An internet friend posted these in hopes he could find out more information about the uniforms and the medals displayed. The family has very little information about the Marine depicted. I was hoping our friends here on War Relics could help. These are the only photos available so apologies for the quality. Thanks in advance. Neil

Marine uniforms in period photos/ID help neededMarine uniforms in period photos/ID help needed

?

I’ll have to check, but I think they are early qualification or service medals, in the first image, rather than combat awards.
    The second image has a bit more to go on, including the marksmanship medal with a few hangers..
    I’ll have a rummage and get back to you.

All the best,
    Bob

Thanks Bob - they do look like qualification badges. The ribbon doesn't match any awards I have seen. But I am not well versed on Marine awards/qualifications and hope someone with a better eye can help. Neil

?

Its hard to make out exactly which quals and medals He /She is wearing,
    But the ovbious is if this is the same gal/Guy combo.
    The Sergeant Blues uniform in the pic on the left has 1 hash mark on the sleeve and the second photo of his Greens he has 2 hash marks, So there is at the least 4 years between the photo's.

I'll try to crop the pic's of the awards , but being B&W will have to go on the color difference and shape of the medal and the Qual bagdes on the Green's should be for Rifle and Pistol with subsequent quals for Machine gun, grenade etc.

It's sad to say I don't collect Marine items.(Just my own) But Many here do!!

It looks Pre/WW2ish
    I will look.

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

I'll add this for a close up shot.
    I included the sword hilt to try and figure out that one also.
    and now the Greens.

Maybe this will help.

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Last edited by AZPhil; 06-01-2020 at 06:54 PM. Reason: corrected spacing

The sword is definitely not Marine Corps. And the medal on the service uniform looks like a DFC to me. I agree it looks pre WWII. I don’t think the medals on the blues are right they look like state issued medals IMO and Marines don’t get those.

Ive see/heard that prior to the 50s (I think) the only Marines that were issued dress blues were recruiters and those on sea duty. Most photos of Marines in blues were done at a photo studio where they rented the uniform so it maybe that the uniforms she is wearing are props.

?

I believe the medal is a Spanish American war medal

?

Here is The United Spanish War Veterans Medal
    Here is the Distinguishe Flying Cross for comparision.

Gary might be on to something here.
    The medal on his service dress does hang low and has something on the top of the ribbon.

The medals and the sword on the blues don't look right for this uniform. I thnk 08 is on to something about these being a State type award.

Hey Neil, Does your friend have any State location info on these pic's?

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Last edited by AZPhil; 06-01-2020 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Got name wrong , Changed it.

?

Tried to get a better view of that medal.

It does look similar to what is on top of the USWV medal

Semper Fi
    Phil

Masonic sword?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast