Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

My relatives uniform idea

Article about: Thanks for the link to his grave details Ade, I now know the date of his death so I can try and find out what his unit were doing on that day. I know his wife visited the grave at somepoint

?

Default Re: My relatives uniform idea

Thanks for the link to his grave details Ade, I now know the date of his death so I can try and find out what his unit were doing on that day.

I know his wife visited the grave at somepoint as I have a picture of her beside it.

My pleasure.

Actually I am a bit hacked off now: the CWGC site has all been recently changed. You could search a man and then go to a "Certificate" which would give his details, next of kin and a general shot of the war cemetrey of where he lies. They have removed this now. All part of trying to get you to buy a photo of the grave...Darned annoying as I used these links in my family tree on Ancestry and now the links are dead.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

thats a bugger, i do have a pic of his headstone etc, and details of the area .

I will go through all my paperwork tomorrow, bring it in to work and scan it all up, then i have a copy at work so i can do research

I wonder if I could get his service record , will try and track down a family member again.

I will bid on the cap ,collar badges and shirt now I think, then keep an eye out for the trousers, I already have the belt from D.Evans (another family member)

I cant thank you enough for the help you have given me since being on the forum, I must buy you a beer (or 10) if we ever meet!

I will take you up on that offer

I enjoy these kinds of threads.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

ideal !!

I will keep you updated with purchases make!

See here for the formation sign he would have worn as part of the 78th Inf Div:

badge, formation, 78th Infantry Division & 11th Infantry Brigade | Imperial War Museums

?

is it the black background with the gold axe? as the main pic only shows the rear of the patch??? will scour the net to try and find one

also Ade are you going to the Maiden Newton WW2 weekend in June?? that could be your chance to get a few free pints?

I would also suggest getting the KD uniform, as you say it ties in nicely with the photographs and is also considerably cheaper. The hardest pieces to find in my opinion will be the socks followed by the boots. If you look hard enough you should be able to pick up the shorts up for around £20 - £50 and shirt £40-£70, no idea on socks I'm afraid as I rarely see the large ones, boots £100 - £300. All of the prices are of course 'guesstimates' and subjective to condition, history and size (the larger the size normally the larger the price!). Also remember if you are going to place it all on a mannequinn you need to sizes relative to each other and ensure that they fit. Most male mannequins will be 6+ unless you have a small fortune to spend on museum quality models. As a lot of my uniforms are of the smaller size I am on the look out for a cheap (shorter) female model which I conduct 'cosmetic surgery' on and carry out a sex change!

?

just found this while searching the web, which will be nice to have printed with maps

Battle of the Argenta Gap - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

?

well my brother in law used to own a clothing shop so im hoping he still has a few spares sitting about, my mother in law has a female manequin in the bathroom at the moment for some reason lol

if he has a few to sell i will let people on here know

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast