Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

My relatives uniform idea

Article about: Thanks for the link to his grave details Ade, I now know the date of his death so I can try and find out what his unit were doing on that day. I know his wife visited the grave at somepoint

?

Default Re: My relatives uniform idea

it would be good to see the "gaiters" if you dont mind

I take it the puttees are wrapped around the legs with the hose tops over the top of them??

the pictures are really nice and clear, will try and get them bigger somehow but cant on the forum due to the file size etc

Quote by Gouldy View Post
    it would be good to see the "gaiters" if you dont mind
    OK, here we go. I apologise in advance for the pictures, it's quite a hard thing to illustrate without using someone's leg.

First of all socks:

These are some examples of British socks. The ones in the middle are the classic grey wool type, with pair of issue cream coloured oned below. The socks at the top are Jungle Green colour and are impregnated with some kind of chemical (probably insect repellant) and have the most horrible 'feel' to them. Both the Cream and JG are WW2 dated.

This picture illustrates the issue long socks (next to the same cream coloured socks in the previous picture). These were commonly used with the motorcyclist boots.

In the pictures I am fairly sure L/Bdr Williams is wearing hose tops as shown here:

These are basically footless socks and would be worn on the leg, over the socks, with the bottom near the top of the boot, and the top folded over. This pair are broad arrow marked. These were worn with kilts as well as shorts, and in the case of kilts, usually have coloured ribbon hanging down from under the fold. Of course, regimentally coloured hose tops were also common, both for kilted and trousered units.

The gap between the boot and the hose top was covered with either the Anklets, Web (top) or puttees (bottom). The anklets and puttees shown here were both worn by the same Royal Canadian Artillery officer in the Italian theatre, and so are probably good examples for your reconstruction. These anklets are typical Canadian manufacture with the web edging all around. British manufactured ones were madewithout separate edging

British made (top), Canadian made (bottom). There were many variations of these with leather straps, plain web straps, web straps with eyelets etc.

Anklets, often called 'gaiters' by the troops, were attached to the boot like this, with the straps pointing back and on the outside of the leg. The straps were required to be drawn completely through the buckles, and if not possible then the larger size anklet was necessary. This picture shows the British type on an original British army WW2 boot.

The puttees are the short type (the long type being the classic WW1 items which covered the whole lowere leg from boot to knee), and were wrapped around the outside of the top of the boot and hose top, finishing off as shown with the end of the puttee 'pointing' backwards, and the tape tied and then neatly folded. This looks odd without a leg to wrap it round, but you can see from your pictures, I think, that this is exactly what Williams has on. He is wearing them spiralling up his leg more than I have shown, however, but i couldn't really show that without a leg

OK, that's the best I can do

Rob
    Last edited by Battery Command Post; 02-19-2012 at 03:07 AM.

That is great. Thanks Rob.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

wow thanks rob that is perfect, i have never been in the Army etc and have only seen this kind of gear in documentary films , will get on the case ASAP, quite excited

just need to source a manequin (have found a female one i can have for free but would prefer a male one)

?

here is the picture I managed to source on the internet, a great service for just £3.50 emailed to you

I have now got all of his items in our front room in a corner cabinet along with other medals, mess tins, belts etc, the Mrs even helped me pin all the medals onto the mounts (to my utter surprise, she wont even let me have a pic of a spitfire on the wall in the house!)

?

right guys,

I won the webbing etc previously listed, and have purchased some shorts which are in the post, im still looking for a shirt and a cap

this has just turned up, and it looks the correct cap ??

http://www.brittonatwar.co.uk/viewph...h=54567&phqu=3

if the link doesnt work it is number 54567 on the website

they also have some hose tops I probably going to buy but i still cant find a shirt

here are other caps too if any would be the right one please let me know as i dont know how to distinguish between officers and privtaes caps, thanks

WW11 Army Cap (Huntingdonshire Badge) | eBay

Hi Jim, the cap is fine.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Hi guys,

im still looking for a cap for the KD set, would this one be any good

brittonatwar.co.uk

item 54567
    or
    item 53947

there are a few caps on there but im still unsure which one would suit??

thanks

Jim

?

Very interesting thread. Nice initiative.
    Excellent help & info from Ade and Rob also...as usual.

Quote by Gouldy View Post
    Hi guys,

im still looking for a cap for the KD set, would this one be any good

brittonatwar.co.uk

item 54567
    or
    item 53947

there are a few caps on there but im still unsure which one would suit??

thanks

Jim
    They are both the same, and either would be fine

Rob

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast