Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

My relatives uniform idea

Article about: Thanks for the link to his grave details Ade, I now know the date of his death so I can try and find out what his unit were doing on that day. I know his wife visited the grave at somepoint

?

Default My relatives uniform idea

Morning guys and gals

I have a few pictures of my relative W.Williams who died during the last few weeks of war,

I thought it would be nice for me to buy all the uniform items he would have worn during his service and put them together with his medals I have which he was awarded,

I am very new to the uniform/webbing collecting side of things so would appreciate some help, also would the uniform in the pics be what he would be wearing in action??

if you can tell me what the item is called and what I would expect to pay for it that would be great , then i can slowly compile an outfit on a manequin next to his medal display

I am also looking at doing this for my relative who was in the RA (I have his "RA"lapel he left me and am getting his service record in the next few weeks)

thanks

Jim

on the right

Just realised how lucky I am to have so many pictures of him!!

?

Default Re: My relatives uniform idea

Just found this also , it says he was a N.C.O and that he was part of a Mortar crew.?

I wonder what weapon he would have had, webley? , Enfield?

Hi Jim, nice idea.

The shorts and shirts are what are known as "KD's". (Khaki Drill) I expect nearly all of these pics were taken in Italy.

He wears two types of cap. I have covered both in detail on the forum. The Feild Service or "FS" cap is the side cap, while the other is the "General Service cap" (Looks like a beret.)

The other pic shows him in the khaki woolen serge Battledress Blouse. This is the so called 1937 pattern. The RA collar dogs are not regulation wear on BD, but was done on occasion by some units for "best".

In the frontline, even in Italy, he would have worn BD.

KD's are a much cheaper option to buy than BD.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Looks like he transfered out of the RA to the 5th Battl The Northamptonshire Regt.

I did a thread on a member of this Regt: click on the link, then follow the link contained therein:

Northamptonshire Regt cap badge

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

brilliant, thanks Ade, will get looking now,

as most of the pictures of him are in the KD I think I may go down that route tbh, as it will tie in better for what I have of him.

Do we know what the badge is on his collars? as I dont seem to have any of them IIRC so would be nice to source one

looks like this is the KD shirt he is pictured in?

WW2,Herringbone Twill (HBT) KD Bush Jacket,British,8th Army,Italy,Size2. | eBay

The collar dogs are for the Royal Artillery. Should be easy to find.

The link is for a jacket (again I have covered these on the forum). He wears the shirt, not the jacket in the pics.

Being in a Mortar crew and being an NCO, he may well have carried a Sten gun. He would not have carried a pistol.

Cheers, Ade

?

I have his cap badge below (the one in the middle) is that what would be worn on his cap, as it looks different to the one in the 3rd picture? however this was left by him to my nan.

The Northampton Regt on the right is from him also

are any of the other in my collection from him do you think?

just need to source a cap

The RA cap badge is the same as worn in the pic.

Nice you have his Northamptionshire Regt cap badge too.

They are the only ones relating to him. But he could have bought the RA sweetheart badge, top left.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast