Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

My special estate sale trip

Article about: Was reading the classified ads this morning and there was an estate sale 15 miles from me so I took a chance. Turned out to be an estate sale ran by a ww2 army air corps veterans daughter..

MAP
    ?

Quote by UK Cousin View Post
    Map the ike jacket has been stripped down of medals and bars because his daughter is keeping all of them. They weren't for sale.
    That's good to hear. Is the picture yours or did you just photograph it? If you know what his medals and campaign ribbons were you can restore the uniforms.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

The picture is from 801492.org where his daughter said I could find it. She said she would also send me a picture of the medals. She used to accompany him on speaking engagements as well. I'm supposed to keep in touch with her so she can send me a DVD of one of those engagements. Should be able to update this thread nicely over time.

Oh did I mention he is still alive? He wasn't at the residence today but my plan is for a photo op tomorrow. However I'm not going to push that issue because I don't know what kind of shape he is in and don't want to be pushy.

What a great opportunity to get some first hand history of the items.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

MAP
    ?

Quote by UK Cousin View Post
    Oh did I mention he is still alive? He wasn't at the residence today but my plan is for a photo op tomorrow. However I'm not going to push that issue because I don't know what kind of shape he is in and don't want to be pushy.
    Don't be pushy but be persistent. Getting a photo and some stories to keep with the items is what this is all about (except for those who see this hobby just as an investment opportunity). Plus I think the family would be somewhat honored to have someone acknowledge the importance of this veterans contributions! They won't be around much longer. I'm off to the only 1/2 decent local show in my area next weekend. There is an old Luft Pilot / Soviet POW vet that attends and sells his book....each time they have the show I fear he will not be there.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

FANTASTIC!!!!! You know I'm loving it if it's 8thAF!!!!

That is a great grouping. All with a photo of the gent to boot!!!!Just Awesome.

Make a recording of the conversation with Eager if possible. Sometimes they don't know where their keys are but the memories of his days in service are fresh in their minds.

I'll be waiting to see how your visit goes. Good Luck!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

I will do everything I can. The estate sale is one more day meaning one last day that home and family may be available. I will try again tomorrow to meet him.

I actually found the garrison cap in the pocket of the trench coat after I was already back at my hotel. I will go back and give them a few more dollars for the cap and try for the photo. That way its not pushy just being honest... The second good thing about this was I paid $125 for the entire bundle. Didn't try to haggle, that's what they were asking.

My special estate sale trip

Another item same estate sale. The MK II bug bomb! If I'm reading this correctly its basically methane and DDT pesticide... God I hope it doesn't go off in my hotel room..

MAP
    ?

I remember these bug bombs as a kid. Don't know if I owned them or they were in a surplus store.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast