Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Need Opinions on M42 Jacket

Article about: I found this at a show and would like some more opinions on it. Cheers Gary

Default Need Opinions on M42 Jacket

I found this at a show and would like some more opinions on it.

Cheers
    Gary
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	biographies 516.jpg 
Views:	693 
Size:	208.1 KB 
ID:	129217   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	biographies 517.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	217.4 KB 
ID:	129218  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	biographies 518.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	258.3 KB 
ID:	129219   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	biographies 519.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	183.2 KB 
ID:	129220  

Name:	biographies 520.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	129221   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	biographies 521.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	267.9 KB 
ID:	129222  

Name:	biographies 522.jpg 
Views:	409 
Size:	142.3 KB 
ID:	129223  

Default Re: Need Opinions on M42 Jacket

Hi Gary, being a WW2 re-enactor I see a lot of copy jackets at shows worn by friends. Some are good and some are frankly horrid. I have never seen a copy with this degree of sophistication to the labels etc. Some do have "Talon" marked zipppers.

But I don't know if things have got to the outright faking stage of these yet? That popper looks a bit odd. And the labels of look a very course weave and thick compared to the usual US labels. Another slight concern would be the size, 42R is a pretty rare size. As you know, the average size of most WW2 uniforms seems to be a 36 to 38 chest. Bigger sizes are hard to find. Folks were just smaller then, plus they were really just kids.

I can see why you asked for opinions.

Cheers, Ade.

Default Re: Need Opinions on M42 Jacket

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Gary, being a WW2 re-enactor I see a lot of copy jackets at shows worn by friends. Some are good and some are frankly horrid. I have never seen a copy with this degree of sophistication to the labels etc. Some do have "Talon" marked zipppers.

But I don't know if things have got to the outright faking stage of these yet? That popper looks a bit odd. And the labels of look a very course weave and thick compared to the usual US labels. Another slight concern would be the size, 42R is a pretty rare size. As you know, the average size of most WW2 uniforms seems to be a 36 to 38 chest. Bigger sizes are hard to find. Folks were just smaller then, plus they were really just kids.

I can see why you asked for opinions.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Ade,

There were a number of things that concerned me most of which you named. The label itself is in the bottom left pocket as opposed to the bottom right pocket which is what I have seen on all the jackets I've seen so far.

I will post it on Waf if I can get my darn membership to go through!