Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

New more info on this WWII overcoat?

Article about: I am not sure if this is the place to post but I need more info I am not a WW2 know about the whole thing or what not but i do know I have this WW2 peacoat jacket and I have alot of pictures

sbvachs
    ?

Default New more info on this WWII overcoat?

I am not sure if this is the place to post but I need more info I am not a WW2 know about the whole thing or what not but i do know I have this WW2 peacoat jacket and I have alot of pictures of this jacket ... at my slideshow link below.

Slideshow by Steven

here is a brief of the jacket

This jacket is in mint condition with no wear and tear, no holes or any real signs of use. The jacket has two "The Great Seal of the United States of America" metal buttons on the top shoulders and has 6 plastic The Great Seal of the United States of America on the front and has two more plastic buttons were the collar is to hold the collar down. The jacket also has two pockets on the inside of the jacket. It has a belt on the back so you can ajust it to your needs buttons. Again we are not sure of the history of the jacket but the tag is labeled with the name "ERICH VOSS" and may have been his jacket as a prisoner of World War II.

the thing I am not sure about the erich voss named on the tag? and when i search for erich voss brings me too a germany leader under hitler? during the WW2 so I am not so sure if this was his prisoner jacket or not I'm not so sure but maybe someone may know? but anways thanks for the help in advanced

?

Default re: New more info on this WWII overcoat?

What you have is a US Army overcoat early war issue in real nice condition.
    A peacoat is a dark navy blue coat and much shorter than the overcoat.
    SteveR

sbvachs
    ?

I am not sure what erich voss on the tag means when I searched for erich voss is brought me up too a germany leader? or right under hitler? that's the thing im a little confused about or can't get a answer

?

I think youll find that thye name refers to the maker, remember ,that at that time there were a lot of german related names in america,and quite a number of the american armed forces had german surnames

?

Quote by davejb View Post
    I think youll find that thye name refers to the maker, remember ,that at that time there were a lot of german related names in america,and quite a number of the american armed forces had german surnames
    Very true. Eisenhower comes to mind. German folk settled large parts of Texas. Kansas and other western states. At one time in the latter 1800's plains Indians spoke more German than English as a language for trade with the white folk. A large segment of the American population are of German descent. The manufacturers name is just coincidental to the German general that you speak of. What you have is a standard cold weather GI issue overcoat. Nothing special about it.
    SteveR
    As a footnote to the above post high ranking prisoners wore their own uniforms .
    Last edited by SteveR; 11-21-2010 at 05:51 AM.

Default Re: New more info on this WWII overcoat?

Hi Steven, welcome to the forum! I have corrected the thread title for you to reflect the true nature of the coat.

As already stated a WW2 enlisted mans US Army greatcoat. These can also be found with gilt metal buttons. These later issues are found with plastic buttons like yours.

Cheers, Ade.