Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is it ok to mend tears or the tag on an M-43 jacket?

Article about: Hi, Recently i picked up a nice M-43 jacket for only 5 dollars! Unfortunately, both cuffs are fraying at the edges splitting them down the edge, and the tag near the back collar has almost f

Default Is it ok to mend tears or the tag on an M-43 jacket?

Hi,

Recently i picked up a nice M-43 jacket for only 5 dollars! Unfortunately, both cuffs are fraying at the edges splitting them down the edge, and the tag near the back collar has almost fallen off.

What's the collector's point of view regarding mending and sewing defects? Is there a "stitch in time saves nine" approach, or do you regard it as "ruining a historical artifact"? What if it will be used for reenacting?

Also, not sure if it matters, but is there a specific thread soldiers would use to make field repairs with?

Thanks!

EDIT: Was asked to add images:

Is it ok to mend tears or the tag on an M-43 jacket? Is it ok to mend tears or the tag on an M-43 jacket? Is it ok to mend tears or the tag on an M-43 jacket? Is it ok to mend tears or the tag on an M-43 jacket? Is it ok to mend tears or the tag on an M-43 jacket?

Coat is in nice overall condition. Also, appears like a name and rank of USMC is stenciled on. Anything of note? Wasn't aware M43's were issued to Marines. Cuff damage is shown, same on both sides. Tag is loose on all but the right sound

Default Re: Is it ok to mend tears or the tag on an M-43 jacket?

If it's in such rough condition, mending fraying cuffs or reattaching
    a label will not do any real harm as to value, and would be perfect
    for re-enacting, IMO. I have a similar jacket which had the same
    problem with the cuffs.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Please can you post some images of the M-43 Feldbluse that you are considering the repairs to .
    Dependent on the damage they can be conserved and restored please dont tell me you are considering using it for reenacting

Regards Mark K

Hi Mark, I think he's referring to a U.S. field jacket, not a German feldbluse!

(I'd cry too.)

Yeah, U.S. Field Jacket, thought if i put it in western allies section it would make sense, sorry. Pictures posted above, let me know!

?

Sorry about that should have read it a little closer it's been a long day

Regards Mark K
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is it ok to mend tears or the tag on an M-43 jacket?  

CBH
    ?

There should be a date tag inside the lower pocket , I also just picked up one of these . But I can't make out the date on my tag . Would a blue light help ? Mine was missing some buttons but they were in the pocket ! Also the M-43 was stenciled onto the inside . Your USMC is worth more than a standard Army . IMO I'd use cotton tread for the repairs .
    Cheers Chris

I think repairs are ok as long as you as the owner is ok with it. When selling you should mention that repairs were made by you. Nice find for $5 !

?

Marine marked mdl 43s are rare.
    Leave it like it is. If you just have to a few lite stitches to correct what bothers you about it. No more. Field worn jackets are real history.

Quote by CBH View Post
    There should be a date tag inside the lower pocket , I also just picked up one of these . But I can't make out the date on my tag . Would a blue light help ? Mine was missing some buttons but they were in the pocket ! Also the M-43 was stenciled onto the inside . Your USMC is worth more than a standard Army . IMO I'd use cotton tread for the repairs .
    Cheers Chris
    I just checked, seems the tag has faded to where its barley distinguishable from the surrounding pocket.

Also seems like some varied opinions here. I guess for reenacting, I should just find a regular US army version and fix that up? Shame, thought i had a cheap solution. Oh well, good for a starting collection i guess. I also suppose if it wont be worn there's no reason to fix anything for the time being. Thoughts? Thanks guys.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast