Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

An old friend.

Article about: Hi guys, when I was a nipper I befriended an elderly Scottish gentleman who I learned had fought in the war. He was a layman at the nearby church where I would play football on Sunday aftern

Default An old friend.

Hi guys,

when I was a nipper I befriended an elderly Scottish gentleman who I learned had fought in the war. He was a layman at the nearby church where I would play football on Sunday afternoons. He told me that he had been a sergeant and fought in the rear-guard at Dunkirk. He also told me that he had trained for mountain warfare in Scotland but it had not come off and instead he had fought in the low-lands of Holland.

One day he said that because he had no children of his own (his wife had been killed in the blitz), and because I had always shown an interest he was giving me his great-coat and some bits and bobs. He said the great-coat had kept him warm sleeping under trucks many-a-cold night in France.

An old friend. An old friend. An old friend. An old friend.

He also gave me a boxed book which was the history of his regiment during WW2. It's called 'Mountain and Flood - The History Of The 52nd (Lowland) Division 1939-1946'.

An old friend. An old friend. An old friend.

He has written inside the book under his name, "B" Squadron 52nd Recce. Regt. R.A.C, HQ Squadron Lothian and Border House. Inside the book he had also put in two envelopes. One containing assorted insignia that he had collected, and one containing paper money that he had collected as he fought his way through Europe.

An old friend.An old friend.An old friend.An old friend.An old friend.

One of the fabled 50,000 Deutsch Mark notes was folded inside the envelope from 1922.

An old friend.An old friend.An old friend.An old friend.An old friend.

..and a couple of badges.

An old friend.An old friend.

It's actually quite touching uploading it all and thinking back about him. He passed away many years ago so the opportunity to really ask him about his adventures has long gone. Out of interest, apart from the Sergeant stripes what insignia would he have worn on his great-coat? Unfortunately none of his own was included. One day I plan to build a complete uniform around it.

Many thanks guys, hope you find it of some interest.

Ian.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture An old friend.  

Default Re: An old friend.

Great mementos, for sure! Thanks for posting them!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

That's a really nice story. He must have been a proud man and appreciated you showing an interest in him when, sadly, so many people just shrug off what he went through as being "All in the past". Thanks for sharing with us.

?

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Great mementos, for sure! Thanks for posting them!
    What he said

Hi Ian, excellent stuff: there is nothing better than a Veteran entrusting you with his items.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Wonderful story and great items, the printed 53rd Welsh division patches are excellent. It shows that a bit of kindness and showing respect is something worth doing.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

NIce items, i like the 53rd Welsh patches, thanks for showing !

yes we should listern to the old folk.on my trips to france belgium holland germany[old motorcycle rallys] I found myself following in my farthers footsteps accidently wow.

Great!!!!!

Thank you Gentlemen,

I really do appreciate all your kind and encouraging comments.

Ian.