Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

original button on this canadian army coat

Article about: I just acquire this coat and i know that after the war the soldier did cut the bottom of the coat to make a winter coat for himself .My first question is ,those big button were they original

Default original button on this canadian army coat

I just acquire this coat and i know that after the war the soldier did cut the bottom of the coat to make a winter coat for himself .My first question is ,those big button were they original to the coat ? i am trying to find a picture of original army coat no succes...
    My second question is when they were issue to soldier were they issue with patches or insigna ????
    Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture original button on this canadian army coat   original button on this canadian army coat  

original button on this canadian army coat  

Default Re: original button on this canadian army coat

Hi Frenchy, the buttons are what we call "Football buttons". This is because they are made of leather and sewn up like an old fashoined football of the period.

These can often be found on British and Commonwealth Officers private purchase greatcoats. So they may well be original to the coat.

Insignia was not normally worn on the greatcoat, other than rank insignia.

Are you 100% certain the coat has been cut down? Officers could elect to buy a shorter coat. It is not a regular issue greatcoat.

Cheers, Ade.

Ade when i purchase the coat it was part of a mini grouping from the same soldier i got the side cap with RCOC badge and a small bag with some personal effect ( don't know the name of it) and a small note hand written by him stating that he received this army great coat at Newmarket Training Camp in march 1941 when he was first conscript. he wrote: he or his mother cut the bottom off to make a winter coat here they used to call them pea-jacket
    And beside his name i have no info if he was a officer or what rank he was .another thing to research later .
    Inside the coat on the pocket :Uniform company ?(can't read) Quebec 1941 with the size ect
    Thanks Ade and i love the coat you have in the other thread
    Frenchy

Hi Frenchy, that is nice info to know.

Cheers, Ade.

I just new here, and not any kind of expert, but...

I have heard from some of the vets here in my Canadian town that the troops used to cut down the jackets to make a "work" jacket for particularly dirty jobs like motor pool work.

They didn't have the shoulder flashes, but I think that they put on the slip on shoulder titles.

I have never seen the "foot ball button" before. Sounds interesting.

just my 2 cents.

Quote by SatansCabanaBoy View Post
    I just new here, and not any kind of expert, but...

I have heard from some of the vets here in my Canadian town that the troops used to cut down the jackets to make a "work" jacket for particularly dirty jobs like motor pool work.

They didn't have the shoulder flashes, but I think that they put on the slip on shoulder titles.

I have never seen the "foot ball button" before. Sounds interesting.

just my 2 cents.
    Hello SatansCabanaBoy
    Thanks for this interesting note about the vets from your town ,where are you from ? Me too it was the first time i was hearing about those football button .
    Frenchy

Sorry Frenchy, I missed this post back to me...I'm south of Brantford..way way way in the sticks. You know the kind of small town where if you call in to our local radio station on Monday, and you are the third caller through, you can be mayor for a week.