Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Original wwII British 7th Armour Battle dress ???

Article about: Hi, i would like some help on this item. Is this a original wwII british 7th armour battle dress or a put together? Are all the insignia original and correctly sewn to the jacket or were add

Default Original wwII British 7th Armour Battle dress ???

Hi,

i would like some help on this item.
    Is this a original wwII british 7th armour battle dress or a put together?
    Are all the insignia original and correctly sewn to the jacket or were added later?
    Any red flags?
    Any help would be apreciated.
    Regards

Fabio
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Original wwII British 7th Armour Battle dress ???   Original wwII British 7th Armour Battle dress ???  

Original wwII British 7th Armour Battle dress ???   Original wwII British 7th Armour Battle dress ???  

Original wwII British 7th Armour Battle dress ???   Original wwII British 7th Armour Battle dress ???  

not expert on these but I like it, hopefully JerryB will see this?

From the pics, it does not look right, the insignia appears poorly applied and a bit tatty, especially for a lt. Colonel. Imo. I am not sure the titles are correct
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

It’s a tough call with hand-sewn insignia, but I have to agree with Jerry regarding the somewhat sloppy application; it doesn’t really suit the rank (although that in itself is not an impossibility).
    Combined with this, the insignia just doesn’t ‘sit’ right for something that has (theoretically) been there for seventy years, I’m afraid.
    I think I could feel better about it without the crown, as a Second Lieutenant. The ‘pip’ has a more convincing look to it, being much more ‘bedded down’ into the cloth.
    Better photos required, methinks.

All the best,
    Bob

?

It’s a tough call with hand-sewn insignia, but I have to agree with Jerry regarding the somewhat sloppy application; it doesn’t really suit the rank (although that in itself is not an impossibility).
    Combined with this, the insignia just doesn’t ‘sit’ right for something that has (theoretically) been there for seventy years, I’m afraid.
    I think I could feel better about it without the crown, as a Second Lieutenant. The ‘pip’ has a more convincing look to it, being much more ‘bedded down’ into the cloth.
    Better photos required, methinks.

All the best,
    Bob

No one's mentioned the medal ribbons on this tunic. Here we have a BD tunic dated 1944 and apparently from 7th Armoured Division. But i'm wondering about the lack of other medal ribbons. The 7th went to Italy after North Africa, landed at Salerno, then later back to Britain to take part in the Normandy invasion. So our Lt.Col here, with a jacket made in 1944, has an Africa star instituted in July of 1943 and distributed by end of 1943. But he has no Italy Star of France & Germany Star, despite having both the Defence Medal and the 1939-45 War medal. These two last medals were established in May & August 1945. So it suggests no active service other than in North Africa. Not impossible but intriguing, why didn't he go to Italy? wounded? No wound bar but a 3 year chevron.

To me... all put together! The value is on the items itselves. The patches, the jacket, the Beret, If all original. The price Payed by the buyer reflects My opinion.

To me... all put together! The value is on the items itselves. The patches, the jacket, the Beret, If all original. The price Payed by the buyer reflects My opinion.

So are you agreeing its an assembled jacket by some other collector? You see I find it strange this Lt. Colonel was not awarded the 1939-45 Star, or even the as it was earlier instituted, the 1939-43 Star. Not to qualify means service in North Africa was less than six months and no campaign theatre service there after. But apparently still in the services late 1945.