Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Oversuit, Tank Crews ("Pixie Suit")

Article about: I recently purchased what I believe to be a "pixie" suit. I have struggled to pin point exactly when they were issued, but the winter 1943-44 seems to be the date most people can a

Default Oversuit, Tank Crews ("Pixie Suit")

I recently purchased what I believe to be a "pixie" suit.
    I have struggled to pin point exactly when they were issued,
    but the winter 1943-44 seems to be the date most people can agree on they were issued.

A heavy bit of winter kit, serge lined and with plenty of pockets.
    Mine came with a hood, and has the usual "wear and tear" one would expect and some oil stains etc.
    It still has the internal braces and it is a size 5. It will fit a man between 5ft 11inchs - 6ft.

I will try to get some better photos when possible, but you will have to make do with the following for now.

Nice find is there any label in it ?as these were also issued post war

Nice large set - look for a tag in the cuff this is a tag from my one 44. My uneducated guess issued 44-45 coldest winter in Europe for a very long time

?

I have heard the term 'Pixie' also used in reference to Australian uniforms of the 1960's but was always confused about what that term meant exactly.

Good score 37webbing.

Oz

Thank you gents

I does indeed have a tag, since I knew it was a size 5.
    It says 1945, and in my humble opinion I think the date would indicate it is supplied to the stores in 1945, and did not see service during the war.
    Could have seen some service in Korea, or later, as far as I know?

I know for a fact they were used in many countries across Europe post war, and the Belgians even made their own copy - but in green.

I don't know how much they usually sell for, as the few I have seen on-line went for crazy money on the fleebay, but I got mine for about £44.
    But as I am not that well traversed in the world of British uniforms, I have no idea if it was a fair price? I know I should have asked here first, but at the time it seemed like a good idea

That was a good price. Well done.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

They tend to be listed at about £100 to £150
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    They tend to be listed at about £100 to £150
    That much?!
    Are they particular rare or desirable?
    I've sort of stumbled upon mine, but it fits neatly into my Commonwealth teemed wall I am building at the moment - and sort of jumped on it.
    But as I have never sold of a single piece from my collection, and never will, a price is irrelevant. Just wanted to know if I had been taken advantage of, and it seems not.

It has me puzzled with all the pockets... So many pockets. A very neat piece of equipment. I wish I had been issued something like it, when I did my national service

A post war Australian "Pixie" in OD. These were also issued in black to Australian Armoured units during the 50's and 60's.

Oversuit, Tank Crews ("Pixie Suit")Oversuit, Tank Crews ("Pixie Suit")Oversuit, Tank Crews ("Pixie Suit")Oversuit, Tank Crews ("Pixie Suit")Oversuit, Tank Crews ("Pixie Suit")

These are very hard to find, possibly harder than the WW2 Brit 'tan' suit.

All the best
    Dave

Quote by Thanatos View Post
    A post war Australian "Pixie" in OD. These were also issued in black to Australian Armoured units during the 50's and 60's.[...]
    These are very hard to find, possibly harder than the WW2 Brit 'tan' suit.

All the best
    Dave
    Very nice!
    Thank you for sharing
    I imagine it is completely impossible to get one at a reasonable price.
    I am not envious at all