Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Postwar British Windproof Smock or SAS?

Article about: British uniform labels used both forms of dating, some have it as part of the manufacture of the label and others have it as an inkstamp on the label. Has it got a broad arrow stamp, as the

?

Default Postwar British Windproof Smock or SAS?

Not sure of the correct title for this jacket, and I'm going to not push my luck and just assume it's postwar. This was a smock, but somewhere along the line some one put a zipper down it's middle in a rather rough way. The tag says "NOV" I think, but the rest is smudged, so no year date.
    Postwar British Windproof Smock or SAS?Postwar British Windproof Smock or SAS?Postwar British Windproof Smock or SAS?Postwar British Windproof Smock or SAS?Postwar British Windproof Smock or SAS?Postwar British Windproof Smock or SAS?Postwar British Windproof Smock or SAS?Postwar British Windproof Smock or SAS?Postwar British Windproof Smock or SAS?Postwar British Windproof Smock or SAS?Postwar British Windproof Smock or SAS?
    Were war time smocks all labeled with the date written on the tag, or did some have their date stamped like this one? I really like this pattern of camouflage though, well done Commonwealth!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Postwar British Windproof Smock or SAS?   Postwar British Windproof Smock or SAS?  

Last edited by Eddie; 12-04-2011 at 10:03 AM.

?

Default Re: Postwar British Windproof Smock or SAS?

It's a windproof smock, probably WW2 issue. The zip was probably added anytime from the 50's -quite recently, I'm pretty sure the SAS were still using them in the last few decades.
    Although not really called an SAS smock, more than likely a boost to profits by dealers to say it is a special forces item.
    Aaron

?

I do believe the camouflage is second pattern Denison which was widely used by the British ,Canadians starting mid war and used into the post war years .It was also later adopted by the Belgiums if I remember right and was used in the conflict in the Congo. IMO this is a post war smock but I will do a lttle more digging around.

Regards Mark K

?

From all the photos and informaton that I have looked at in the last hour would point to this being a post war pull over wind breaker that has been modified with the instalation of a zipper to make this into a fieldjacket I will post a photo for comparison of an original unaltered one.

Regards Mark K
    Attached Images Attached Images Postwar British Windproof Smock or SAS? 

?

Hi Aaron and Mark,
    thanks for the replies! I did a bit of digging around the web myself and was mostly confused on how to date this thing, most of the WW2 jackets that I saw had the year date written in the same font as the maker and sizing info, so I wouldn't be surprised if this was postwar. The zipper definitely is!

As Aaron has said, most likely wartime but post war modified.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Thanks Adrian the only two examples I could find were made postwar I stand corrected.

Regards Mark k

Quote by doomtown View Post
    Hi Aaron and Mark,
    thanks for the replies! I did a bit of digging around the web myself and was mostly confused on how to date this thing, most of the WW2 jackets that I saw had the year date written in the same font as the maker and sizing info, so I wouldn't be surprised if this was postwar. The zipper definitely is!
    Hey the Poms on lots of gear had stamped dates on the tags, from my lot they are on the denim BD and trousers

?

Took some better pictures of this today, hope you guys like it. Rene, what's a "Pom"?! Someone from New Zealand?

Postwar British Windproof Smock or SAS?Postwar British Windproof Smock or SAS?Postwar British Windproof Smock or SAS?Postwar British Windproof Smock or SAS?

Can anyone hazard a guess on what the fabric behind the blue zipper in the last pic is? I'd like to narrow down the time frame on when this was altered.

Nope someone from Great Britain - Pom/Pommy as we Aussies say

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast