Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Question regarding original? insigina of a WW2 British battledress

Article about: Hello All, I’m new on this forum and had a question regarding the insignia on an P40 battledress. I came across this 1942 battledress with trousers. According to the seller all the insignia

behindcorner
    ?

Default Question regarding original? insigina of a WW2 British battledress

Hello All, I’m new on this forum and had a question regarding the insignia on an P40 battledress.

I came across this 1942 battledress with trousers. According to the seller all the insignia are wartime and wartime applied. Is there some way to identify if these insignia really are wartime applied? To me they look authentic. The trousers are marked with WD/|\M (Not clearly visible)

If you have any comments ore tips please let me know!
    Thanks for reading
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Question regarding original? insigina of a WW2 British battledress  

Hello. Welcome to the forum. A very nice uniform set you have there. We often have this discussion over period uniforms and insignia (from all countries and branches of service), when applied if original etc. It's surely a valid question, but to the best of my knowledge, there's no conclusive way to answer this question. Some would suggest blacklight test but most feel that's inconclusive. Really I think it comes down to a thorough in hand examination. Are the insignia of the era? If so do they exhibit the same amount of wear? Does the placement of them comply with regulations. Does thread and sewing techniques look the same throughout. Questions like these would I think be a reasonably good way to go about determining originality. This is JMO perhaps other may have a more insightful response or are more familiar with your particular uniform and insignia, but I like it very much. Best regards.

Brian

The insignia appear in the correct place as per army regs. Although the arm of service strips look as though they have been applied somewhat haphazardly. Nice battledress though, wartime pattern not so easy to find now.

?

The crossed Flags appear to be 1960 pattern so only 2/3 the size of the war-time pattern.

The arm of service strips are larger than they should be but not 100% proof of being reproduction or applied later.

Some of these badges may be original to the BD but I would be very wary without closer examination.