Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

RAAF battle dress blouse ?

Article about: A lot of Aussies did their training in Canada. Unfortunately some of them perished in training accidents, so could this be a case of putting a left behind uniform to further use? Oz

Default RAAF battle dress blouse ?

Hi all got this tailored RAAF battle dress locally the other day . It's made by Adelphi Tailoring Co which I have come across a service dress from the same company the label is all most the same just that it does not mention perth . I cant find any other tags/marks Etc . Does anyone knows the cut or pattern . All buttons are covered except the last two ? any help be great .
    cheers matty
    RAAF battle dress blouse ?RAAF battle dress blouse ?RAAF battle dress blouse ?RAAF battle dress blouse ?RAAF battle dress blouse ?

It is a mid 1950's variant, the turned back collar and lack of a waist belt are the key differences.

cheers mate . Although I thought I'd seen some posted that were wartime that had the same cut although I think they were khaki in colour . Can't remember what or who's post it was . Oh well . cheers for the info mate

here is a short run down on various BD types, by no means exhaustive or all encompassing - but good general guide. Wartime RAAF BD's are remarkable hard to come by and will usually have label from MTEX (melbourne textiles) and a wartime date in red. Reference Force Battledress

and a RAAF WW II one here WW2 Uniforms and Aircraft

here is a short run down on various BD types, by no means exhaustive or all encompassing - but good general guide. Wartime RAAF BD's are remarkable hard to come by and will usually have label from MTX (melbourne textiles) and a wartime date in red. Reference Force Battledress

and a RAAF WW II one here WW2 Uniforms and Aircraft

thanks for the link mate

from the references for the link you shared . The type of BD blouse I thought this might be of a similar cut to the (RAAF wartime variant (tropical) coat).the only real difference that I can see from the cut is the buttons are showing . the jacket I posted only has the last two bottom buttons showing and is lacking adjustment straps on the side . going by the reference site you sent me it seems a possibility that it is a tailored wartime BD . As it states at the end of the last paragraph .( The RAAF always retained the long waist belt on all its postwar patterns but adopted most of the other late-pattern features.) Or possibly an early post war tailored BD as it does state as well (The Commonwealth, notably Canada and Australia, seem to have evolved their BD much more slowly and a bit more haphazardly.) and well there is some variations of tailored military clothing that I'v come across that don't fall into the general rules . I guess I can add this one to the Not to sure section of my collection . Thanks again for the link mate most interesting and great general references I will defently be checking out these in the future .

yeah - maybe maybe not, it will take some sleuthing, but probably really never be able to positively say for certain, the lack of a date and the label is generic is vexing. My hunch is later, possibly modified by the owner but really impossible to tell. Is there any evidence of insignia on it before that has been removed or is it unused? There really aren't any good references on RAAF stuff that I am aware of, that leaves a lot of room for conjecture.

?

Here are a couple of pics of my "1949 Pattern" RAAF blouse that is unissued and still fortunately has its manufacturers docket (hope Matthew does not me jumping in). The exposed buttons are KC Bakelite (pre 1953?) and the covered ones are plain Bakelite. The cuffs are pointed like army officers greatcoats.
    Good link Asterperious!

RAAF battle dress blouse ?RAAF battle dress blouse ?

Oz

So - I have this nameless oddity in my collection - I picked it up cheaply a few years ago. It is an RAAF BD, no label or name, clearly worn with the RAAF BD trousers given the waist wear, it has an odd 'Canada' shoulder title and RAF wings with the bakelite pre '53 RAAF style buttons on the shoulders. It is too well done to immediately dismiss as a fantasy, but completely irregular and I am hard pressed to work out how nay of this combination would ever have been worn in service. I know RAAF crews in WW II wore RAF BD, but I can't imagine the corollary would be true, not least of all a Canadian. I'd love to hear what sort of speculation might legitimately explain it - but I think it is an improbable assemblage.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast