Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

RAF Officer's Service Dress

Article about: I picked this jacket up yesterday for £8. Its dated 1953, with King's Crown buttons and has been stripped of its rank lace. I was a little suprised to see a WD label inside as I has assumed

Default RAF Officer's Service Dress

I picked this jacket up yesterday for £8. Its dated 1953, with King's Crown buttons and has been stripped of its rank lace. I was a little suprised to see a WD label inside as I has assumed officer's uniforms were private purchase from tailors. Is this the same pattern as war time ones or were changes made to RAF SD in the late 40s?

My plan is to get replacement rank and sew it on to bring the jacket back t its former glory for display. I am guessing from the fade marks on the sleeve it was originally a Wing Commanders uniform.

Ed

RAF Officer's Service DressRAF Officer's Service DressRAF Officer's Service Dress

Hi you see both officer's uniforms were private purchase from tailors and issue ones from the 1950s and 1960s , the pattern looks the same as the wartime pattern but yours looks to be mssing the waist belt ?

I've got the waist belt as well, just forgot to add it when I took the photo!

?

Hi there, as I understand it the jacket's button arrangement changed after the war. The wartime jackets have four actual buttons down the front, but in the late 40's (I believe) it was changed so that a plain button (as on yours, 4th button down) was hidden behind the belt. Once the belt is on it will look a lot better I think and is pretty close to the WW2 pattern.

You could also add a ribbon bar perhaps?

Best regards, Paul

Thanks for the reply Paul, that's very interesting. There are the thread loops for medal ribbons on the jacket, I've got a medal bar for an RAF officer somewhere which i will dig out. I understand at one point it was very common for re-enacters to remove the flat button and put a normal one on to make it more WW2 like. Must confess I wont be doing this as I'd rather leave it as original as possible and the belt covers it anyway.