Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

RAF Service Dress Jacket Owner D-Day Provenance

Article about: Hi all, i purchased a RAF service jacket earlier this year which was named to Flt Lt Charles Philip Harrold and after some research found he was a navigator in 109 squadron whom won the DFC

Default RAF Service Dress Jacket Owner D-Day Provenance

Hi all, i purchased a RAF service jacket earlier this year which was named to Flight Officer Charles Philip Harrold and after some research found he was a navigator in 109 squadron whom won the DFC & bar. The squadron itself flew mosquitos which used OBOE, a device used by pathfinders to accurately find a target using radar signals, they would drop flares for heavy bomber which would destroy the target. I was kindly given some copies of records of 109 squadrons actions and found C.P Harold had participated in the targeting of battery at Ouistreham which was part of sword beach, where no.4 commando landed to push inland to link up to paratroopers at pegasus bridge.

Here are some pictures of the jacket and record for June 5th 1944

RAF Service Dress Jacket Owner D-Day ProvenanceRAF Service Dress Jacket Owner D-Day ProvenanceRAF Service Dress Jacket Owner D-Day ProvenanceRAF Service Dress Jacket Owner D-Day ProvenanceRAF Service Dress Jacket Owner D-Day ProvenanceRAF Service Dress Jacket Owner D-Day ProvenanceRAF Service Dress Jacket Owner D-Day Provenance

Cheers
    Harry

A lovely jacket and great research, well done.

nice jacket! great find.