Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

RAF uniform re-issued???

Article about: Hi guys, a quick question if i may, I have recently purchased a RAF LAC uniform, It carries two names, 466377 P Barnes and the name "E J Hawkins" which has been crossed out. at the

Default RAF uniform re-issued???

Hi guys, a quick question if i may, I have recently purchased a RAF LAC uniform,
    It carries two names, 466377 P Barnes and the name "E J Hawkins" which has been crossed out.

at the same auction, but in a differnent lot, I found a typed letter from P.Barnes son Roger, dated 1996.
    The letter explains the service of both his father, and 1354388 Edwin James Hawkins (KIA 8/8/44)
    Stating that his father had been issued the jacket after the former owner was KIA. (which could explain the missing brevet badge)

Although i have no real reason to doubt the letter, My question is, would a deceased airman's uniform be re-issued?

Any thoughts appreciated as always.
    Ed

RAF uniform re-issued???RAF uniform re-issued???RAF uniform re-issued???RAF uniform re-issued???RAF uniform re-issued???RAF uniform re-issued???RAF uniform re-issued???RAF uniform re-issued???

I would say, it's probable, especially in wartime that uniforms could be reissued, but not that often. What strikes me though was that if it had been reissued that the threads definitely wouldn't still be showing as they are there as the SWO would certainly have something to say!!
    "Per Ardua"

Kit was certainly re-issued by all armies at all times. I've found US kit that was re-issued after the former owner was KIA in Market Garden in September '44. So I see no problem with the letter or the cited uniform, nice find.

Absolutely government issued uniforms and kit were re-issued through clothing stores and depots - although a lot was simply written off in '45 as demobilization disposals were daunting and guys simply went home with items. earlier in the war certainly not anything useful was reused. Officers items were privately purchased and were as such personal property, but in this case yes the story is perfectly plausible but I do also agree that the evidence of wings still there with threads etc. is not really something that should be there. Typically anything with badges or rank would be re-issued to similar ranker, or the uniform would be completely stripped of rank at the depot and made presentable for re-issue.