Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

RAF Warrant Officers Greatcoat

Article about: Hi Guys, here is a greatcoat from my collection. It is described on the label as "Coat, Great, Blue Grey, WO." The maker is "Montague Burton Ltd Leeds" and is dated 1945.

Default RAF Warrant Officers Greatcoat

Hi Guys, here is a greatcoat from my collection.

It is described on the label as "Coat, Great, Blue Grey, WO." The maker is "Montague Burton Ltd Leeds" and is dated 1945. The Burton Company is very famous in Britain and is still in business today as a fashion store. It is a Size No.6.

The insignia is original to the coat, but is very non regulation, being that of a Flight Sgt. They were (obviously) not authorised to wear an Warrant Officers Greatcoat. I cannot find any removal of Warrant Officers rank insignia which would have been worn on either sleeve near the cuff: I had wondered if the coat had belonged to an Airman who previously held this rank and was subsequently demoted, maybe in early post war service with the shrinking of the RAF? Many men who stayed on had to accept a drop in rank.

Note the features of the coat which set it apart from the Other Ranks version and which make it more similar to the Officers issue greatcoat: buttons to the cuff, full belt and collar closesure.

The coat has not been through collectors hands. It came to me as a gift from a friend. He discovered it wrapped around the hot water tank of a client who used it as insulating lagging! The coat was very dusty and dirty and the brass buttons, rank crowns and belt buckle were black with tarnish.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAF Warrant Officers Greatcoat   RAF Warrant Officers Greatcoat  

RAF Warrant Officers Greatcoat   RAF Warrant Officers Greatcoat  

RAF Warrant Officers Greatcoat   RAF Warrant Officers Greatcoat  

RAF Warrant Officers Greatcoat  

Default Re: RAF Warrant Officers Greatcoat

That looks stunning mate!

Mine is a little different to yours though. I noticed the cuffs have only 2 buttons on yours, but on mine they have 3 (although the buttons are not present)

Also mine is missing the belt... hopefully I can pick up a replacement at Stoneleigh.

Lovely coat you've got there mate! Very nice indeed

Hi Lee, with yours being an Officers greatcoat it is slightly different.

Thanks for the comments.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Ade great Great coat. It was very nice of your friend to rescue it from a terrible fate.