Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

RAMC badged Canadian made BD 1945?

Article about: Hi Rob, You are correct about the miss identification of the book, as I found out after I posted it. I downloaded the complete book (Formation badges) and I also have a copy of Heraldry in w

Default RAMC badged Canadian made BD 1945?

Just acquired this one, usual crappy pics from the seller and so it is hard to tell if the insignia is period applied and also hard to tell if the date is Feb 1943 or 1945, though clearly of WWII Canadian manufacture and 1945 is probably what it reads.

I don't recognise the formation patch, though it seems very familiar and it might be a post war unit?

I'll post better pics when it arrives.
    Attached Images Attached Images RAMC badged Canadian made BD 1945?  RAMC badged Canadian made BD 1945?  RAMC badged Canadian made BD 1945? 
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Default Re: RAMC badged Canadian made BD 1945?

Hi Jerry, your memory serves you correct. The formation sign is for London District, Southern Command and is a post 1945 design.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

It arrived, though it is a crappy day for taking pics, so it's nearer the darker green shown in some of the pics.

It had a printed warden title in one of the pockets.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAMC badged Canadian made BD 1945?   RAMC badged Canadian made BD 1945?  

RAMC badged Canadian made BD 1945?   RAMC badged Canadian made BD 1945?  

RAMC badged Canadian made BD 1945?  
    Regards,

Jerry

?

It will make a fine addition to your growing commonwealth BD. collection Jerry will you be stripping the postwar badge and restoring the BD with pre 45 insignia.

Regards Mark K

Quote by kozowy1967 View Post
    It will make a fine addition to your growing commonwealth BD. collection Jerry will you be stripping the postwar badge and restoring the BD with pre 45 insignia.

Regards Mark K
    Hi Mark,

I am inclined to leave it as it is, and that post war use is part of it's history as I don't think it has been pimped. Many BD's continued in use after may 45 and others were issued New Old Stock for many years later.

I just need a US made example to give me one from all the main countries making these during the 40's & 50's and supplying them to British & commonwealth countries.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAMC badged Canadian made BD 1945?  
    Regards,

Jerry

Cole's Heraldry in War published in 1946 (2nd edition 1947) has this version of the London District patch so it might have existed during the war and if not, it must have been introduced very early after the war to be included in the book.

It appears from further research that the design was approved in may 1941 and was worn during and after the war, though it has been suggested that the wartime version had a rectangular backing rather than that shown here, but this latter point is uncertain at this time.
    Last edited by Jerry B; 08-15-2012 at 10:53 PM.
    Regards,

Jerry

?

Thanks for the info Jerry I shall keep my eyes open and If I come across a US manufactured lend lease BD I shall let you know.

Regards Mark K

Quote by kozowy1967 View Post
    Thanks for the info Jerry I shall keep my eyes open and If I come across a US manufactured lend lease BD I shall let you know.

Regards Mark K
    Thanks Mark.

I see them for sale quite often, it is more about being able to afford one on my budget whilst buying other things, so I will get one sooner or later.

Whilst checking the pockets again last night I found another warden title, making a pair.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAMC badged Canadian made BD 1945?  
    Last edited by Jerry B; 08-16-2012 at 10:46 PM.
    Regards,

Jerry

I just bought a copy of Heraldry in war Formation badges 1939-1945 by Lt.Col HN Cole and I am awaiting it's arrival, but in the meantime I followed a link from the Victorian wars forum (whilst researching something else) to a site called uniforms of the world and found a thread there in which a member had posted the images from the book, though he has coloured them in, whilst the original has only B&W images.

Here is the page in question which shows the octagonal patch as being for WWII.
    Regards,

Jerry

Quote by Bond View Post
    I just bought a copy of Heraldry in war Formation badges 1939-1945 by Lt.Col HN Cole and I am awaiting it's arrival, but in the meantime I followed a link from the Victorian wars forum (whilst researching something else) to a site called uniforms of the world and found a thread there in which a member had posted the images from the book, though he has coloured them in, whilst the original has only B&W images.
    Well, Howard Cole is certainly the man to turn to when you are talking about British patches (except for John Waring who was equally legendary in this field ). The page you have posted isn't from Heraldry in War, however, it's from Formation Badges of World War Two. Britain, Commonwealth and Empire, also by Howard Cole. Both books suggest the design was introduced in WW2, as does another of Cole's books: Badges on Battledress.

John Waring's Identification Pamphlet No 1 lists three versions of this patch:

81a London District 1st Pattern Yellow crown and red sword picked out in black. On navy blue - Emb on felt
    81b London District 1st Pattern As for 81a but on black background - Printed
    82 London District 2nd Pattern As for 81a but on rectangle - Painted

This would tend to suggest that the rectangle version is actually the later pattern. I'm not usually one to accept things, but I would make an exception with both Waring and Cole

Rob
    Last edited by Battery Command Post; 08-17-2012 at 04:01 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast