MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

RCAF Medical Branch uniform

Article about: I would like to know if its possible a RCAF, RAF or RAAF Medical Branch Uniform have cloth wings, just like this one. Regards Fábio

Default RCAF Medical Branch uniform

I would like to know if its possible a RCAF, RAF or RAAF Medical Branch Uniform have cloth wings, just like this one.

Regards

Fábio
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RCAF Medical Branch uniform  
    Attached Images Attached Images RCAF Medical Branch uniform  RCAF Medical Branch uniform 

Default Re: RCAF Medical Branch uniform

No one has an oppinion about it???

Hi Fabio,
    It looks like what you've got is a postwar(late 40's-1950's) RCAF officer's summer tunic.Why it has medical branch collars with WWII RCAF pilots wings & all those medal ribbons on such a low ranking (pilot officer) tunic makes it look like somebody has put it together at some point.Is there a label inside the inner breast pocket?Hope this helps!

Cheers! Bob

It's not mine, but i've got curious about such combination
    (medic-pilot) of insignias.
    I sensed that something was not right.
    So, in your oppinion it was put together?

Thanks

?

Most of the ribbons seem campaign medals rather than awards....

Hi, You have, in my opinion, an interesting jacket and there are several explanations for the combination of insignia. Currently on E Bay there is a Chaplain Air Commodore of the RAAF uniform up for sale. In addition to being a Chaplain, the uniform wears an AG brevet. The Officer served as an airman aircrew AG during the war and became a Chaplain after the war rising to the rank of Air Commodre. His uniform is not unique. I would suggest that your jacket belonged to an ex airman aircrew pilot (and there were a lot of them) who, having been grounded, became a medical Officer. Why not. Hence the relatively low rank and accumulation of WWII medals and brevet etc. Air Force policy is for aircrew qualification badges to be retained and worn subsequent to remustering or grounding etc. Why would anyone put Medical insignia on a pilots tunic? A far more saleable item with less cause for consirn so why do it. In my collection I have a period photo of an RAF officer on the staff of a hospital and wearing exactly the same insignia ie Pilot and Medic!! I would be happy to purchase your jacket and conidder it original. However, it could be made up but why?? hope that this helps and is of interest to you Regards Michael Ryan