Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Relic a2 flight jacket, opinions needed

Article about: I recently bought this old tattered A2 jacekt saved from history's dust bin. Tags aren't there anymore and there is no sign of patches or artworks. Just a plain A2 amost destroyed by time. I

Default Relic a2 flight jacket, opinions needed

I recently bought this old tattered A2 jacekt saved from history's dust bin. Tags aren't there anymore and there is no sign of patches or artworks. Just a plain A2 amost destroyed by time. I am not completely ignorant about this sort of itmes, but some of the guys out there are real experts. I'd like to hear some opinions about possibe date, manufacturer etc...
    Thanks a lot!

Relic a2 flight jacket, opinions neededRelic a2 flight jacket, opinions neededRelic a2 flight jacket, opinions neededRelic a2 flight jacket, opinions neededRelic a2 flight jacket, opinions neededRelic a2 flight jacket, opinions neededRelic a2 flight jacket, opinions needed

Comments anybody?? C'mon can't believe non one got anything to say about this forgotten piece of history!

One thing I noticed is that it does not seem to have a collar stand. Most WW2 issue jackets had them.

How bad of a sign is that?

Hi, I know next to nothing about these A2 jackets but I think that Talon were the correct zip makers for US issue jackets. If I am wrong, at least I have "bumped up" the thread!! Leon.

I like it -Zipper looks untouched, something that is missing from my USAAF collection!

Here's a great old site for Id

Type A-2 Details

HI reneblacky! thanks a lot for the link! I did some research on that website and judging from details in contruction I would id my jacket as poughkeepsie manufactured A2. Yet the absolute lack of markings on the liner, no sign of shoulder sleeve insignia and no name tag is puzzling. What could be the reason for that? My personal opinion is that the jacket has never been actually issued during the ww2? To support this I found a strip of matchsticks and some "blue chips" inside one of the pockets and I dated them to be around 1970. So maybe the jacket was surplus from the war and it got its "seasoned" look just by being used for work or whatever after the war. That would at least explain why it is so rugged without seeming to have ever belonged to an airman. Anybody agrees with this theory?

These were and still are a popular jacket to wear - I even got married in a post war issued one! could well have been unissued and worn to near death!