Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

REME Officers Uniform

Article about: Hi there, this is my first post in this uniform section as I don't collect uniforms , helmets and fieldgear is what I prefer, but saw this jacket and trousers in a local antiques store and c

Cool REME Officers Uniform

Hi there,

this is my first post in this uniform section as I don't collect uniforms , helmets and fieldgear is what I prefer, but saw this jacket and trousers in a local antiques store and couldn't resist. I think its a genuine WW2 Service Dress Jacket belonging to a JM Alexander Esq and hand dated September 1940. Its tailor made which I suppose was the norm for officers and even though its missing the rank badges I think he could have been a Captain. Its is also missing the lapel badges. It is marker marked WELSH & JEFFERIES LTD ,15 DUKE STREET, St. JAMES'S S.W.. It also has what I believe to be a laundry tag sewn on the outside of the left sleeve. The medal bar ,I think depicts he possessed the 39 - 45 Star, Africa Star with 8th army symbol and the Italy star, is this correct?

The jacket came along with a pair of trousers which are undated and not actually sure they belong to the same person. They are a size 27 but I am unsure whether they are issue ones or tailor made.

Here are the first two pictures.

Comments please.

thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture REME Officers Uniform   REME Officers Uniform  

Default Re: REME Officers Uniform

Two more pics.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture REME Officers Uniform   REME Officers Uniform  

REME Officers Uniform  

Last two pictures.

p.s. any chance I coold find any information on this person?

thanks

I would agree with everything you have posted. Nice example and does it have holes in the lapels for OSD collar dogs? The trousers look post war.

If you try this link to the London Gazette and use advanced search, you might find out some of his history.

London Gazette Home Page

By the way, you can post up to 10 pics at a time on this forum.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I would also confirm you are correct in all you say. He was certainly a captain at some point. The medal bar doesn't have all his medals, as he would have also been entitled to the 1939-45 War Medal and probably Defence Medal, which suggests the ribbons shown are those he wore during/at the end of, the war. Some WW2 medals were issued, as just ribbons, during the war.

The trousers are 1970s/1980s No 2 Dress trousers, and not diectly associated with the jacket.

Rob

Nice tunic and easy to restore with the correct insignia.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!