MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Researching 1st Infantry Division Ike Jacket

Article about: Hello- My wife was kind enough to purchase a 1st Infantry Division Ike jacket for me for Christmas. I'm trying to do some research and learn as much about it as I can without having the orig

Default Researching 1st Infantry Division Ike Jacket

Hello- My wife was kind enough to purchase a 1st Infantry Division Ike jacket for me for Christmas. I'm trying to do some research and learn as much about it as I can without having the original owner's name. Am I correct that this individual would have been a Staff Sergeant in the 1st Engineer Combat Battalion of the 1st Infantry Division? He served 3 years overseas and was awarded the Army Good Conduct Medal, American Defense Medal and the European - African - Middle Eastern Campaign Medal with 4 battle stars from the United States Army.

My biggest question is regarding the French Fourragere. From what I've read this was awarded to the 1st Engineer Combat Battalion, 1st Signal Corps Company and the 1st Infantry Division as a whole for service at Normandy. My only reading has been online at this point so it may be that the 1st was awarded this as a whole and the breakout is superfluous. Has my reading been correct? I can't seem to find much in-depth information regarding the specifics of their being awarded the French Fourragere and if anyone has a good source I would be happy to read further either online or in print.

Thank you in advance for any help that could be provided! I'm trying to learn as much about my acquisitions as possible.

Researching 1st Infantry Division Ike JacketResearching 1st Infantry Division Ike JacketResearching 1st Infantry Division Ike JacketResearching 1st Infantry Division Ike JacketResearching 1st Infantry Division Ike Jacket

Default Re: Researching 1st Infantry Division Ike Jacket

Great item
    chris

Default Re: Researching 1st Infantry Division Ike Jacket

Yes, the entire 1st Infantry Division was awarded the French Fourragere. However, I think this one might be Belgian. They were awarded both anyway, if I am not mistaken.