Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Rhodesian Airtex

Article about: We've seen some South African items but so far no Rhodesian so here is a shirt that was used by a unknown pilot. Condition is extremely good so I am assuming it was issued just prior to him

Default Rhodesian Airtex

We've seen some South African items but so far no Rhodesian so here is a shirt that was used by a unknown pilot. Condition is extremely good so I am assuming it was issued just prior to him going home as is common with SA items as well.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rhodesian Airtex   Rhodesian Airtex  

Rhodesian Airtex   Rhodesian Airtex  

Rhodesian Airtex  

Default Re: Rhodesian Airtex

G'day Gary

Thanks for sharing. Nice shirt & a great set of wings. I guess the stamp is the only marking on it?

Regards

René

Hi Gary, I have always liked the design of this particular wing.

I think the actual jacket is British made? "SCWS" I think stands for Scottish Co-operative Wholesale Society Ltd. You certainly see other British made stuff marked "CWS" is that is made by the Co-Op. So I am presuming this one was made North of the border in Scotland?

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Ade,

You are correct as to origin of the shirt itself. The Rhodesians as well as the South Africans had a very poor supply situation for the duration of the war and when they were being shipped home they were presented with new uniforms to replace the often quite tattered ones they had fought through the war with. Which is why it is actually pretty difficult to find an actual combat uniform from those two countries.

In answer to the previous question, yes that is all there is sadly.

Cheers
    Gary
    Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Gary, I have always liked the design of this particular wing.

I think the actual jacket is British made? "SCWS" I think stands for Scottish Co-operative Wholesale Society Ltd. You certainly see other British made stuff marked "CWS" is that is made by the Co-Op. So I am presuming this one was made North of the border in Scotland?

Cheers, Ade.

OKW
    ?

Is this WW2 period? Did Rhodesia have the Empire training schools for aircrew in ww2 that Canada and i believe South Africa had?

Yes this is late WWII quite literally as the soldier was shipping home.
    I don't know if the Rhodesians used the Empire Training program or not. I know that the Aussies and Kiwi's did but I have no idea if the SAAF and RhAF availed themselves of the program or not.

Cheers
    Gary
    Quote by OKW View Post
    Is this WW2 period? Did Rhodesia have the Empire training schools for aircrew in ww2 that Canada and i believe South Africa had?