Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Royal Grenadiers Tunic help

Article about: Scored this tunic at an antique store selling it as a "band uniform". I bought it fast and ducked out of the place. Now I am having trouble placing an age on this fine example of t

Default Royal Grenadiers Tunic help

Scored this tunic at an antique store selling it as a "band uniform". I bought it fast and ducked out of the place. Now I am having trouble placing an age on this fine example of the Royal Grenadiers dress jacket. I know the name switched in the 20's to The Royal Grenadiers, and in 1939 was re-designated the Royal Regiment of Canada. The cuffs look early. The buttons say 10 in the centre, which was before 1920 -I'm not sure if the button design changed, or not -all eras could have the "10" in the centre...crowns look early on the buttons...

so cats, any help would be appreciated pinning the age down...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Royal Grenadiers Tunic  help   Royal Grenadiers Tunic  help  

Royal Grenadiers Tunic  help   Royal Grenadiers Tunic  help  

Attached Images Attached Images Royal Grenadiers Tunic  help  Royal Grenadiers Tunic  help 

Default Re: Royal Grenadiers Tunic help

Any ink stamps in the tunic? The crown is kings so it could be Edwardian or up to 1952. The condition looks too good for it to be Edwardian era, the white is pristine, I have several of these old tunics and the white is always yellowed, stained or dirty. Could it be a modern tunic with old buttons attached? These tunics were hand stitched in places especially the lining, if it isn't its modern. The label looks to be stitched with a modern machine.

The flash has kind of washed out the white elements of the tunic. The piping, cuffs and collar devices are slightly yellow, or close to a brown...could be just dirt...but I'm no cleaning professional... lol. Buttons look like they may be hand stitched, but the Tip Top tag is defiantly machine stitched..
    There is no other marking on the liner...

Yes the white turns into a 'buff' colour with age and is best left as it is. are the seams of the liner hand stitched?

Hate to say it...but there appears to be both...hand stitching and machine. But, the major stitch lines for holding the liner together are machine stitched.

I was thinking that the stitching on the shoulder boards looked like they may have been Aldershot made..?

?

I know this thread is almost 5 years old, but I was wondering if you were able to pin point the age of this Grenadier Guards uniform? I just received today a tunic that pretty closely matches the one in your photos, the buttons also have the number 10. The only real difference I can see, aside from manufacturer's label, is that the cypher on your epaulettes are some what centered while the cypher on mine are close to the shoulder seam. Mine also came with the waist belt and Royal Regiment of Canada buckle. Royal Grenadiers Tunic  helpRoyal Grenadiers Tunic  help