Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Royal Indian Army Service corps Khaki Drill tunic

Article about: by Adrian Stevenson Hi Jerry, it looks great. I will keep an eye out for the Indian versions of the buttons and collar dogs. I have seen them for sale in the past. Cheers, Ade. Thanks Ade, i

Default Royal Indian Army Service corps Khaki Drill tunic

I recently bought a KD tunic -it arrived today- and as it had no buttons or other insignia I decided to attach a set of buttons and collar dogs for the Royal Army Service corps which I had also recently picked up, when I noticed it had a name tag inside the collar. This was for L.H.H. Brice, so I goggled his name and got a hit from the Imperial War museum collections.

"This haversack was found by Brice in a Japanese equipment store in Singapore at the end of the Second World War - presumably an item of captured British stores when the island fell to the Japanese in 1942. Brice served in a Transport Company of the Royal Indian Army Service Corps in the Kohima, Imphal, Palel, Tamu, Kabaw Valley & Kalewa areas between March and July 1945." Catalogue number
    EQU 3797

So by a strange coincidence, he served with the Indian version of the RASC.

I'll post some pics when I have chance to catch some daylight, probably Saturday.

Probably going to be hard to get the correct Indian versions, so I will probably finish attaching the British versions for now and see if I can find them and update if and when they can be found.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Default re: Royal Indian Army Service corps Khaki Drill tunic

I found out some more info on him, he was Lt Herbert Henry Brice and a taped interview is kept at the Imp War Museum, though sadly it is not available online at this time, though a transcript is provided of the subjects he talks about. His service details are outlined below and also the details of the transcript.

Service record:

British officer cadet served with Officer Cadet Training Unit in Bangalore, India, 1941; officer served with 47 GPT Coy Royal Army Service Corps in India, 1941-1942; served with 70 GPT Coy Royal Army Service Corps in India and Burma, 1942-1945; served with 59 Rajputana GPT Coy Royal Army Service Corps in India and Singapore, 1945-1946

Transcript details:

REEL 1 Background in Somerset, GB, 1920-1940: death of father; education; application to join Indian Army; death of mother; memories of childhood; wait for call-up; size and background of draft; reason for wanting to serve in India; air raids; evacuees in area; details of rationing; opinion about length of war; period in Aldershot; journey to Gourock. Aspects of journey from Gourock, GB, to Bombay, India, 1940-1941: details of ship, Empress of India; disembarkation; submarine watches; joining with convoy; period with flu; route taken; stops at Freetown and Cape Town; activities onshore at Durban; change to and details of Union Castle; voyage to Bombay via Mombasa; conditions on train journey to Bangalore. Aspects of period as officer cadet with Officer Cadet Training Unit in Bangalore, India, 3/1941-8/1941: accommodation; training during voyage; organisation of unit; pattern of training including difference between North West Frontier and desert training and man management; discipline; learning of Urdu; climate; lessons about treatment of Indian troops; daily routine; leisure activities; rations; uniform worn. REEL 2 Continues: formal clothing; civilian workers in camp; weapons training; map training; communications; question of training in desert and on frontier; opinion of training received; posting to Kashmir for transport training, 8/1941-10/1941; period as officer with 47 GPT Company Royal Army Service Corps on North West Frontier, India, 10/1941-2/1942; Japanese activities in South East Asia and situation in Burma; choice of unit when commissioned. Aspects of period as officer with 70 GPT Coy Royal Army Service Corps in India and Burma, 2/1942-7/1945: re-equipping and training in Bombay; description of journey to Imphal; setting-up of camp; British withdrawal from Burma including role of unit; refugees leaving Burma; widening of road by Assam tea planters; problems from landslides and solution. REEL 3 Continues: opinion of vehicles; details of Naga people around Kohima including relationship with Indian government and British Army; climates at and journeys between Dimapur and Kohima; posting to Imphal area; assistance given to Royal Engineers; problems from monsoon and use of bamboo; building of bridges; use of bitumen soaked hessian; creation of airstrips; supply drops including during 1944 crisis; air raids on convoys and precautions taken; increase in Royal Air Force presence; ranks held; visits from Maharaja; changes in British to Indian officer ratio; relationship with troops; details of leaves; knowledge of wider situation. REEL 4 Continues: guards against Japanese attacks on Chindwin River; contact with Chindits; advance to Chindwin River and withdrawal to Imphal plain; knowledge of situation; contact with superior officers; collection of transport from Bombay; Japanese invasion of India; hospitalisation including evacuation from Imphal; story of posting to Kohima; details of siege at Kohima; question of confidence during siege; return to unit; description of box system including Japanese tactics at night; problems distinguishing friend from foe; advance to and crossing of Chindwin River. Aspects of period as officer with 59 Rajputana GPT Coy Royal Army Service Corps in India and Singapore, 7/1945-1946: preparation for and cancellation of Operation Zipper; changes to life after posting to Singapore. REEL 5 Continues: surprise following contact with Japanese POWs; problems in Malaya; accommodation; knowledge of life in Singapore during war and evacuation of Commonwealth internees; departure for GB; duties in Singapore including Japanese boats used. Aspects of period as civilian in GB from 1946: demobilisation leave; settling into civilian life; reasons for leaving army; plans for civilian life. Aspects of period as officer with 70 GPT Coy Royal Army Service Corps in India and Burma, 2/1942-7/1945: knowledge of war in Europe; activities on VE and VJ Days including alcohol ration during war; entertainments; activities of and contact with US Army; British opinion of Indian troops; backgrounds of different Indian troops served with; considerations of different faiths among troops. REEL 6 Continues: discipline including problems with troops going AWOL; details of Indian National Army including museum about leader Subhas Chandra Bose; opinion of Japanese troops and tactics; opinion of senior officers; memories of General Slim; details of supply lines; opinions of Second World War and army service; details of items brought back from Far East.
    Regards,

Jerry

This sounds really great. Nice one Jerry.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

How about a picture Bubba ?
    Kind of like leaving us at the alter with no I do's.

Quote by SteveR View Post
    How about a picture Bubba ?
    Kind of like leaving us at the alter with no I do's.
    Hi Steve,

I will post some pics today, the first chance to take some in daylight.
    Regards,

Jerry

Some pics.

You can see it never had pips or a slider attached directly to the tunic SB's and he must have used slip-ons and it must have been made when he was still only a 2nd lieutenant.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Royal Indian Army Service corps Khaki Drill tunic   Royal Indian Army Service corps Khaki Drill tunic  

Royal Indian Army Service corps Khaki Drill tunic   Royal Indian Army Service corps Khaki Drill tunic  

Regards,

Jerry

Can't wait to see them!
    Great way to make a thread btw!!
    ;-)
    First give all the info AND then only the pic's at the very end!
    I can hear drumm's roll...
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Here they are!
    Nice!! I love it!
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Hi Jerry, it looks great. I will keep an eye out for the Indian versions of the buttons and collar dogs. I have seen them for sale in the past.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks Kris, glad you like it.

It's the history from a named and researchable tunic that makes it so great for me, mostly you don't have a name and if you do, you can't find out anything about them.
    Regards,

Jerry

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast